Championship Basketball Game ~ Logan

71 to 77, thirty seconds left in the game. Down by six. I take a big breath and guard my man.

#16 passes to #7, top of the key. I get up the line below the elbow. My man shifts to the wing. I hesitate to get up the line again. #7 falls for it and passes to my man-I rush up and snag the ball. Kaden's already breaking away down the center. I make a clean pass to him, but he gets double-teamed.

I hold back as the prevent player, but Kaden suddenly crosses over to drive up the lane, pushing the break. He pulls the Rocker-Step move with a cross over on the first defender and sails by him. He approaches top of the key, in and out fakes with a stutter step, but can't get around the second guy. So he pulls up and shoots. The ball arcs nice and high over his defender . . . and swishes, for three.

The ref blows his whistle and makes the sign for a contact foul against Kaden. Jake runs up to Kaden and jumps onto his shoulders. Kingsly calls a timeout.

I catch Kaden's arm as he runs by. "Crazy idiot, pushing the break! Stop being such a hotshot."

"What's your problem?" Kaden pulls his arm away. "You pass to me, I score." He wipes his forehead with the sweat band on his wrist. Then he turns and runs over to huddle around Kingsly. I check the clock. 00:21 Twenty-one seconds. I follow him over.

"Nice snag, Hastings," Kingsly says to me. "Sweet moves, Hastings," he says to Kaden. "Full court press guys. We've got the jump ball, so I want Teggy and Hastings to double team-" He points at me and Jake. "Wait for the pass, then tangle for the ball; be quick." Kingsly puts out his hand, and we all go in.

"West Linn!" we chant, then Tom barks twice and the whole team barks back three times. Our fans in the stands echo us loudly.

Kaden steps up to the free throw line. I get in my spot off the block, crouch down in the ready position, and take in the adrenaline rush. The ref blows his whistle and hands Kaden the ball. He squares to the basket, dribbles, shoots. The ball arcs nice and high-I fight to get boxed in, but I can't get in front. The ball goes right in. Yes. 75 to 77. Overtime is just one basket away.

I take my spot for the press, on the block, next to Jake. The inbounder gets the ball, but he hesitates when he sees us. He holds up his hand to call a play and inbounds to player #7 in the corner. Jake rushes up, right next to me. #7 doesn't have a chance to move, and Jake gets his hand on the ball. I join the tangle-whistle. The ref calls the jump. Jake sprints over to Kingsly on the sideline. He makes the sign for Stack. That's my play.

I get in position and take a big breath. Kaden gets on my right side and Tom takes my other side.

Kaden leans in close. "They're still not here."

I pat his shoulder. "It doesn't matter. Let's do this." Kaden shakes his head, then gets down low. I get ready too, watching the Grizzlies take their places between us and the ball-side wing with one safety defender in the paint. The fans are going nuts.

Jake takes his place to inbound. He smacks the ball hard-and we go. Tom cuts out toward half court, freeing up a space for Kaden. He spins around my back, faking like he's heading back door for a long pass, but then he V-cuts back around me, breaking out to the ball-side wing for the pass. I'm in position to screen out Kaden's defender, so he's practically wide open.

My defender gets back on me and moves around in front. I back up quick to the high post at the elbow, then act like I'm going to seal on the inside. Kaden is crouched in the triple threat pose with the ball, his eye on me.

I give the hand signal, and quickly cut back-door for the lob pass to the hoop. Kaden telegraphs his pass, so his guy moves over to block the pass to me.