Ankle Breaker ~ Logan

The Warriors are a tough team. Their zone defense is killing us, because we don't really have a good offense to counter a 1-3-1 situation. We're throwing all we've got at them, but even if we manage to get by them, we still can't catch up because we can't stop their set offense either. Tom is in foul trouble, and he's the only one who can guard their team captain, Chad Spencer, #17.

Coach Kingsly subs Zack in for Mike and puts Jake in for Eric. He leaves Kaden in; he's been playing since the beginning of 3rd quarter, and he's saving our butts right now.

I'm the only member of this team who isn't pulling his weight. I think I could get past #27, and I'm almost sure I could stop #8, but I'll never know if I don't get to go in.

The Warriors score, putting us at 56 to 62, behind by 6 with 50 seconds left in the 3rd Quarter. Kaden inbounds the ball to Jake. I sit forward on the bench. Finally, Jake and Kaden are both in the game. The two of them play like a machine when they get together.

"Two-three!" Jake calls out as he brings the ball down. The guys get in a nice two out, three in formation, and Jake starts to dribble toward the wing. He pulls off a clean skip pass to Kaden in the corner. Jake flashes into the paint for a quick bounce pass, and the Warrior's defense starts to collapse. Jake sends the ball back out to Kaden in the wing. Totally open, Kaden takes his time to swish a 20-footer.

I jump out of my seat. The whole team is up and barking like mad dogs. Ten seconds later, the quarter ends with us down by 3.

Then Kingsly comes over and kneels by my chair. "I'm going to put you in for Josh."

I'm going in! My heart rate doubles. A chill goes up the back of my neck, making my head tingle.

"Remember Hastings," Kingsly says. "Patience, see your opportunity, and explode. Let's take the lead now."

I jump up and almost take off before I realize that I'm still wearing my sweats since I haven't played yet. I yank my jacket off, unsnap my pants, and dump my clothes under my chair.

The sub buzzer goes off, and I run in for Josh. "You're on eight!" he calls as he heads for the bench. "Watch out for his ankle breaker."

We're only down by 3, but they've got possession. I get on #8 as the Warriors set up their 1-3-1 offense. Their point guard comes down with the ball, and I get up the line to deny the pass to the man I'm guarding.

My concentration breaks for a split second as I realize that Dad is watching me play. That split second is all #8 needs to fade away to the side, and before I can get back on him, he gets the ball in the wing. I hold my arms out and get in front of him to block a drive. My heart is tripping like mad.

My man gets rid of the ball, and I breathe easier. I get up the line to block the pass back, but #8 sprints all the way across to the other wing. I try to get on him, but I'm only halfway there when he gets the ball back, and it looks like he's going for a three-pointer.

Tom yells out, "Switch! Switch!" He spins around to take care of the guy I was supposed to be guarding, leaving #17 open inside the high post. Before I can get between him and the ball, #8 passes to #17. I stop where I'm at, dead-on between the blocks inside the paint. I'm right in #17's way, but this is the guy that even Tom can only stop half the time.

The guy doesn't waste a single second. He jab-steps one way and goes the other way, a seriously impressive ankle breaking move, but I'm so slow I don't even react to the fake, let alone the real move. Then suddenly, the guy is jumping right at me, going for a lay-up. He rams into me, jolting me sideways, and even in my nice basketball shoes, I roll my ankle and hit the gym floor hard.

I roll over and get up, but my ankle gives out on me. I drop to my knees. That's when I notice that the ref called a technical foul. Charging. I get two foul shots, #17's basket doesn't count, and we get possession back.

But I can't get up.

Kaden jogs over and pulls me to my feet. He's all ready to start celebrating, but when my foot hits the floor, I nearly throw up. In a haze and a thunderous applause, Jake and Kaden walk me off the court to the bench. I slump into a chair. Someone in a red medical uniform pulls my shoe off to examine my ankle. I wince at the twinge in my tendon.

"Nice defense," Coach Kingsly says, and he claps me on the back. "Kaden, take his free throws."

Josh goes back in for me, and Kaden makes both free throws. We get the ball back at half court. Jake passes to Kaden, and he charges down the court. He ends up in a one-on-one situation against the guy who just fouled me. With no hesitation, Kaden goes right through the guy and sinks a lay-up. They both end up on the floor. The ref calls blocking on #17, and Kaden jumps up, slams his feet down on the floor, and points right at me with his entire arm. Then he gets mauled by the rest of our team, because he just got us the lead, drew another foul shot, and took revenge for my ankle.

Even though the adrenaline is gone and my ankle is suddenly killing me, a smile touches my lips. I love my brother.

 I love my brother