Chapter 1

"Why don't you get a job as a barista, or a nanny? Something with better hours," Milly asks me, flicking through her most recent purchase of 'Hello' magazine, while lying across the couch

The only couch, so I'm sitting on the hardwood floor, legs in front of me under the coffee table.

"They pay shit wage, this says ten to twelve pound an hour, plus tips," I point to the screen of my laptop which is sitting warming my thighs.

Milly glances over my shoulder and hums a response, I can tell she doesn't approve of this job role. Or should I say of the particular place looking to hire.

"Go on, speak your mind," I reply, making an exaggerated sigh.

"Well," Mills starts, and I roll my eyes ready for her wrath, "That's Alexander Carlson's club."

I turn my neck to look at her, "Well if that's your only issue, I guess I'm good with that," I reply, shrugging my shoulders.

"Rosie, Alexander Carlson is like a billionaire, the way he looks and the people that follow him around like little puppets, you can't tell me he's sitting on the right side of the law," She finishes.

She's right, although I have never seen a picture of him, I do know he is one of the richest men in England, probably the whole UK, damn probably even Europe. But the truth is, I need a job more than I need air right now. Okay, maybe not that dramatic.

"You know I need this job Mills, I won't be able to afford food in a couple of weeks once my savings run out, and then what," I push the rising tears back. I will not cry.

"I know, I just think of all the places, is Alexander Carlson's club really the right road to go down?" Mills speaks quietly, stroking the lengths of my hair from behind me.

"Only one way to find out," I whisper.

I click on the ad and upload my CV and cover letter and place the mouse over the 'submit' button.

"Here goes nothing," I whisper, and I hear Milly's breath hitch when I press down on the keyboard.

I drop my laptop onto the coffee table and stand up quickly, "Ahhhh," I groan, running my fingers through my hair.

"Don't freak now R-" Mills stops abruptly at the sound of my laptop pinging. I pull the screen up and click on my email tab.

"Jesus, that was quick," I reply, opening the email.

From: automaticreply@clubenvy.co.uk

To: rosiewhite@mail.co.uk

Subject: Re: Bar Staff

Dear applicant,

Thank you for your application.

Please attend a trial shift and interview on Saturday 19th February at 8pm. If you are unable to attend, please withdraw your application.