Chapter 13

I throw the computer onto the sofa and groan, catching Milly's attention from where she's been reading in her bedroom

I throw the computer onto the sofa and groan, catching Milly's attention from where she's been reading in her bedroom. "What's up?" She shouts.

I remain silent, I haven't told her about the ball Alex wants me to attend with him. Her opinion of him wasn't good to begin with, let alone after he dug up information about me that I want to remain forgotten.

She walks out from her room, "Ro? What's wrong?"

"I need a dress," I reply.

She frowns at me as she perches on the arm of the sofa, "A dress? I have loads, you know that?"

Sighing, I run my hands through my hair, "No, an evening dress, for a ball."

Her eyes widen and a smile breaks out, "A ball!? Why didn't you tell me? Is this the charity ball that your works being auctioned at? Did the university invite you? That's amazing, Ro."

"No, no, I mean yes it's the charity ball, but the university didn't invite me," I reply, watching her face morph back into confusion.

"What? Who invited you then?" I remain silent, watching her. "Wait! NO ROSIE, absolutely not!"

"What?" I shrug.

"He did not. That arse, he invited you?"

I nod as she continues, "What is this a date? One minute ago he was cornering you, threatening you with your past secrets and now he's all lovey-dovey asking you to a ball."

I sit up straighter on the sofa, "He didn't threaten me? Okay he cornered me but there weren't any threats, and anyway, it's just a date, nothing more, I don't want to date date someone like him, but I do want to go to this ball."

She groans and slaps a hand across her face, "Rosie, I'm not sure about this, I still don't know why you're still working there after what he did."

"I need a job Milly; did you forget that very important part again? What's done is done and he hasn't fired me so I'm going to stick with it until I can figure out my next move. Anyway, back to the matter at hand, where the hell am I going to get a dress with no money."

Milly sighs, giving me her 'I-know-there's-something-more-going-on' look, which I just decided she's invented. She sits for a while before smiling at me, "I may have an idea."

I watch as she pulls her phone out her pocket, tapping quickly before bringing it to her ear. "Hey, it's me, how are you?"

I watch, confused as she continues her conversation with whoever's on the other end of that call.

"Of course," A beat of silence then, "Hi boys, I miss you too, I'll see you tomorrow okay, let me speak to your mum again."

Ah, that's who she's talking to.

"Okay, I need your help, Rosie is going to a ball on Saturday, the one that's auctioning her work."

Silence.