Chapter 32

When Alex left on Saturday, I felt a little empty watching him leave

I hadn't realised just how much I'd missed him, just how much I'd missed being in his presence, in his arms.

Being in the middle, the push and pull between Alex and my parents is drowning.

But Alex is there, fighting for it. That means everything to me but makes everything so much worse.

I can't be with him, it was clear I couldn't and here I am allowing him over for dinner.

My mind and actions are on two different roads and I need to focus.

I'm stuck with the job at Club Envy for now, I can't afford to give it up so it means keeping as much distance from Alex as possible.

Right?

When six o'clock comes around, me and Milly are gathering some plates just as there's a knock at the door.

I open to find a relaxed looking Alexander leaning against the door frame holding a bag of takeout by one finger.

His sly smile sets my legs to jelly. 

No, Rosie, No.

"Are you going to make me eat this food out here, or are you going to ask me in?" He asks.

Narrowing my eyes at him I step to the side, opening the door wider to allow his broad frame to enter.

"Milly, good to see you again," Alex nods to Milly as he moves towards the kitchen.

"Hey Alex, can I call you Alex or is that just a Rosie thing? Do I have to call you Carlson?" Milly replies.

Alex laughs as he sets the bag onto the counter, "Call me whatever you wish."

"Don't tell her that, you wont like some of the things she's called you," I reply, closing the door and walking to join Alex and Milly in the kitchen.

Alex stops and looks up towards Milly, "Is that so?"

Milly looks guilty but shrugs her shoulders, "What best friend would I be if I didn't somewhat dislike you, at one point or another."

"Fair enough," Alex smiles.

I watch as Alex sets an array of trays around and bags of prawn crackers, prawn toast and so much more. "Alex, how many are you feeding? There's enough food here for an army."

Milly scoffs, "What Rosie means to say is, thank you," she speaks as she throws her arms at my side.

"Right, thank you Alex, but still, there's a lot of food," I add.

"Get eating then," Alex replies towards me.

We sit around the coffee table, digging into amazing food and engaging in flowing conversations.