Chapter 36

When I woke in the morning, I have a vague memory of being woken by Alex's lips on mine and him saying something about heading into his office, to help myself to anything in the house and he'd be back soon

That must have been a couple of hours ago because the clock on the wall says it's just gone ten am and the other side of the bed is cool.

Bringing my good arm up, I feel across the bruise on my elbow, my temple and cheek. All those points, plus my knees are throbbing but hopefully nothing some paracetamol won't ease.

Pulling myself from the bed, I walk to the door and open to a wide corridor. I remember Alex saying to Milly about the opposite bedroom, which is shut, I'm not sure if Milly is awake but I head towards the kitchen, or what I assume is the kitchen from my hazy memory of last night.

I follow the smell of fresh coffee and walk into the open plan living area to see Milly sitting at the breakfast bar with a cup of steaming coffee in front of her.

She jumps from the seat as I approach and pulls me towards the free stool. "Ro! How are you feeling?"

"I'm good Mills, just hurting," I reply as I ease myself gently into the seat.

"Here, I was up when Alex left this morning. He got you some paracetamol and showed me how to use the coffee machine. You want a mug?"

"Definitely, thank you," I reply as Milly passes me two pills and a glass of water. She turns around and starts fiddling with the coffee machine.

"Did you sleep alright?" I ask as the coffee machine grinds in the background.

"Yeah, I couldn't really drift off properly and when I heard your door open and close this morning, I thought it might be you, so I came to the kitchen to check and Alex was getting ready to leave, he said he's heading into the office to sort out something about security footage?"

I nod as Milly glides the mug across the worktop to me. It smells delicious. I bring it to my nose and inhale.

"Right, yeah." I reply, thinking back to the developments last night.

"What happened Ro?" Milly asks as she takes her seat next to me.

Rubbing my palm over my eyes, I start. "I was getting threats, I got two letters saying that I was drawing attention to myself and that if I didn't stop, I'd regret it."

Milly gasps, "What?"

"I didn't know what to do, which is one of the reasons I tried, and failed, to pushed Alex away. It's one of the reasons I tried to get another job."

"Oh Ro," Milly whispers as she places her arm around me.

"Alex thinks we'll be able to get those two men a warrant for arrest as they were probably caught on the club cameras and also the new security outside the apartment."