Chapter 25

Friday night dragged like never before

Friday night dragged like never before. I got barely any tips and ended up being sent home two hours early because it was so quiet. Not helpful, I got this job for the money and tonight was a bad night in that area.

Alex's words have haunted me ever since, 'you promised me no more lies.'

Every time I think about the look on his face as he walked away, it brings tears to my eyes.

I lay in bed, todays Sunday morning, last night was a little bit better, busier. I didn't see Alex and it scared me, I'm worried he's realised just how much I've been pushing him away and is done with it, done with me.

It's what I wanted, but I didn't expect it to hurt this much.

I open my eyes to the bright early spring sunshine coming through the window. I shift, the sofa groaning underneath me and stare at the ceiling.

I've never felt so bad in my life, so lost, so lonely, so...

The front door slams open and Milly comes crashing through, her eyes wide.

She's always been an early riser and often has to be up early to assist Bella with the school run, so I'm not surprised she's been out before 10am.

I sit up at the look on her face, pulling the duvet with me to keep me warm. "What?"

She turns and closes the door behind her, placing her bag and coat down, she walks towards me.

"What Mills? You're acting weird."

She walks towards me and holds out a magazine, it's face down and I frown at her. "What the hell is this?"

"Take it." She replies.

I huff at her strange behaviour and take the magazine, turning it over I gasp in shock. "HOLY SHIT."

"Right," Milly mutters.

Glancing back at me on the front cover of Britain's biggest gossip magazine is a picture of Alex...and me...at the coffee shop Friday.

The headline reads something about Alexanders new girlfriend.

I look back to Milly, "Fuck."

She nods, "Yeah, you didn't tell me you met him for coffee."

I shake my head, "I didn't, I was getting coffee and he showed up, we talked but I had nothing to say so left."

"He came and found you?" Milly asks.

I nod, looking down at the photo. "Yeah," I whisper, my eyes feeling wet again.

"Shit, Ro." Milly whispers back. "You need to be careful, make sure your parents don't realise it's you," She replies, walking towards her bedroom.

I remain silent. I haven't told her about the threat, I ensured myself everything would be fine. It will all be fine.