Prologue: The maze Runner

Piper shot up at the loud sound of metal hitting metal. Her eyes adjusted to the darkness around her. It seemed like she was in a small, metal cage that was quickly being pulled up by metal cables. She tried to scream, but nothing came out of her throat. Panic rose in her chest as the cage came to a halt. Her hand grabbing on the side as she clutched it so hard her knuckles became white. She took deep breaths before pulling herself up, looking up at the sun as she shielded her eyes from the burning sun above her. She tried screaming again, noticing that even though her brain was pushing for her to scream, she simply couldn't. She looked around, seeing different crates and barrels with the letters WCKD written on it. Next thing she knew, she heard laughing from above her.

''New greenie boys!'' A boy with blonde hair jumped down into the metal box, frowning at the girl

''New greenie boys!'' A boy with blonde hair jumped down into the metal box, frowning at the girl. ''Hey, it's alright, we aren't going hurt ya.'' He spoke with a thick, British accent. ''Minho, little help?'' A rope was thrown down as the blonde boy extended his arm and led her to the rope, helping her out of the metal box. ''Do you remember your name?'' She shook her head while mouthing the word ''no''.

''You'll need to speak up greenbean, no-one here can hear you.'' She heard herself say it in her head, ''even I can't hear myself'', but yet again, no words came out of her mouth. ''Maybe she's mute.'' All heads turned to a boy, he was tall and had a buzz cut, he was rather skinny compared to other boys. ''What do you mean Jeff?''

''Mute, someone who is unable to talk. Just like blind and deaf, there is also mute.'' He gestured to her. ''Can you physically talk? Just a simple 'yes' or 'no'?'' She tried again, earning glances from the boy. ''I'm guessing mute.''

''Then we'll go with that.'' Her eyes wondered to the brown haired boy next to Jeff. ''Hai, I'm Nick, the leader of this place.''

''Self, appointed leader.'' An Asian boy next to him spoke, holding up his pointer finger as he smiled. ''Hey, the name's Minho.'' He extended his arm to shake her hand. ''And the Brit who saved you out of the box is named Newt.'' The blonde boy gave a small wave as he looked at the girl. She gave a nod towards him in a greeting matter. She looked around to see to see about twenty boys around her.

''So, considering the fact that we'll most likely be in this place for a while, we'll need a way to communicate with you.'' Jeff pulled a pocket-size notebook from his pocket alongside a wooden pencil. ''This should do for now, maybe the creators will send something up.'' She frowned as she wrote down, 'Creators?'

''The people that put us in here, wherever 'here' is.'' Nick spoke as he gestured around. ''Come on, I'll give you a tour of this place, I'd say to keep the questions to a minimum, but that shouldn't be a problem I guess.'' Nick took her on a tour around the so called 'glade.' The amount of information was slightly overwhelming, but she had the feeling she understood it quite well, as it wasn't hard to understand.

Nick wasn't as bad as Minho made him out to be, he was kind and was patient enough to wait for the girl to stop writing her questions down. He had adapted to the new way of communications quicker than the girl had expected, even coming up with some sign language to communicate faster.

''We have come up with a system that seems to work. There are eight jobs in total, which every Greenie is going to try out before we decide which job suits you best.'' She nodded as she walked along. ''There is a hierarchy in here and so every job has a Keeper.'' He pointed at different people and area's.  ''We have Gally, the Keeper of the Builders.'' He than pointed along again. ''Billy, keeper of the Baggers, they are the ones in charge of burying dead. They also act as guards and police around the Glade here.'' Piper's eyes widened in surprise, there were people who buried the dead? 

''Zart, keeper of the Track-hoe, also known as the Gardeners.'' She nodded along as she walked with him towards the kitchens. ''Frypan, the keeper of the cooks. Than over there we have Winston, keeper of the Slicers.'' He turned the girl around to look at the animals. ''They take care of the animals before they uhm ... become our food.'' Piper's lips pursed together as she nodded. ''And you've met Minho, the keeper of the Runners. And than we have the Sloppers, they help around the Glade mostly by doing the dirty tasks that other Gladers don't want to do, such as cleaning up the Blood House, the kitchen, toilets, you name it.'' He turned to her with a small smile. ''I don't think that one fits you that much.'' She smiled as she followed him towards Jeff. 

''And you've met Jeff, one of our two med jacks.'' He gestured to the boy next to Jeff, ''and this is Clint, if you're ever hurt, they'll know what to do.'' Jeff gave a nod before walking to a crate in the corner. ''I think this is for you, it came up with the Box.'' She frowned before taking the crate from his hands, signing him a 'thank you.'

''She's saying thank you, we've come up with some sign language to speed up the communication.'' He gestured to the leaning structure of wood and windows. ''That is the homestead, me, Alby and the keepers sleep in there, we've got a room left-over so that one will be yours.'' He than pointed at the crate. ''We can put that one in your room.'' She nodded as she waved goodbye to Jeff and Clint, walking behind Nick as she followed him to the homestead.

''We have three rules in here. One: Never go outside the Glade, unless you are a Runner. Two: Never hurt another Glader. You have to trust each other. And three: Everyone does their part. No slackers.'' She nodded as she wrote down. ''I can work with that.'' 

Putting the crate down on the nightstand as she pried it open, being alone in the glade for the first time, as Nick left to talk to Alby. She pulled out stuff such as a hairbrush, hair ties, pads, tampons and some clothes. She placed everything in a spot before grabbing the pocket-book before turning around, quickly placing a hand on her heart as she saw Minho behind her. ''Sorry, didn't mean to scare you, I knocked, but I didn't hear you call out.'' She gave a quiet laugh. ''Oh right, not that you could.'' He pointed downstairs as he smiled at her. ''Diner is almost ready, so I thought I'd come and pick you up.'' She gave the 'thank you' sign again as she followed him downstairs to the kitchens.

''How long have you guys been here?'' She wrote down before showing it to Minho. ''Just two months, you're the second to come in, we're still trying to figure everything out.'' He pointed at the area around the box. ''We were with twenty boys when we all woke up around the box, since then, one boy arrived last month and now you.'' She nodded as a boy came out of the kitchen. He had dark skin and a beard that grossed the girl out. ''Hey, greenie, I'm Frypan, the cook in this place.'' She shook his hand with a smile. ''You remember your name yet?'' She shook her head. ''Than I guess we'll just call you she-bean for now.'' Minho gave a fast laugh. ''She-bean, I like that one.'' Frypan put a plate down with pancakes. ''It isn't often that I get to make something this fancy, so enjoy it she-bean.'' More and more boys filled the room, the boy she recognized as Newt joined her and Minho before Jeff and Clint joined them as well.

''Nick told us that you guys came up with some sign-language, if you'd like, we could help with some of it, it would make communicating a bit easier.'' She nodded as something clicked in her head. Her eyes widened as she wrote a word down in the notebook and showed it with a bright smile. ''Piper, is that your name?'' She nodded excitedly as Jeff nodded. ''Well, nice to meet you Piper.'' 

Welcome to my new story about the maze runner! I am so excited to start on this book. My main story will go off of the movies but I will try to put in as much as I can from the books, but still going off the movies as most fans have not read the books and I want everyone to be able to understand the storyline. So, everyone have fun with: The mute! 

-X Violet's-library