Chapter six

''Somebody's moved him up to the medical wing. Thomas, that's on the other side of the building.'' Piper turned to him, a pleading look on her face as he nodded. ''Okay, take me to him. Right now.'' Piper quickly grabbed her helmet again as she heard Newt speak up. 

''All right. I'm coming with you.''

''Newt, no, you're not. You have to stay here, wait with Gally for the serum.'' Thomas nodded to the boy who was currently working on getting the vault to all the serum open. ''You can't do this on your own. Minho comes first, remember?'' 

''He won't be alone, I'm coming with.''

''Just go.'' Gally spoke as he looked up from his work, turning to the other three. ''We're wasting time. I'll get the serum. We'll meet you out back.'' Thomas and Piper shared a look before Thomas turned to Newt. ''Okay, fine. Let's go. Come on''

''Hey guys, Good luck.'' Gally spoke as Piper nodded at him. ''You too.'' 

''Keep moving.'' Thomas pushed his gun into Teresa's back as they walked towards one of the elevators. Newt and Piper behind him as Piper could hear her heart racing in her chest, eager to get out of the lab. Thomas pressed the button frantically as they looked around themselves, keeping everyone in check. ''Come on, come on.'' Just as the doors were about to close, a hand prevented it. ''Hold it.'' 

Piper had to stop herself from hitting Janson when she laid eyes on him, seeing Newt turn to her and give her a slight head shake. ''You're working late. See, that's what I like about you, Teresa. No matter how bleak things get, you just... Well, you never give up. Times like this, you need a friend that you can count on.''

''I'll bear that in mind.'' Teresa spoke as she kept looking straight ahead. 

''There is one thing you should know. One friend to another. Thomas is here.'' Her head turned to the man as Piper clutched her weapon to her body, ready to shoot if she needed to. ''A surveillance picked him up outside the walls. Ava didn't want you to know, but there is a chance that he may try to contact you, and if he does, I'd like to think that I'd be your first call.''

''Are you going to kill him?'' Teresa turned to him again. ''Would that be a problem?'' Neither one of them said another word until they ended up on the medical wing floor as Teresa raised her head. ''This is me.'' Piper was the first to brush past Janson, her hands sweaty as she turned to Newt, who nodded at her. 

''Thomas, you have to listen to me. Getting that serum won't save Newt. It might buy him some time, but...''

''Just ignore her.'' Newt spoke from behind her. ''She's trying to get inside your head.''

''Thomas, listen. You know what's going on out there. People are dying. The world is dying. There's something about your blood I don't understand.'' Thomas simply nodded to a door. ''Open it.'' She did as she was told as Piper pressed herself forward. 

''If you let me run some tests... I promise I can protect you.'' Piper scoffed as she shook her head before Thomas threw his helmet off. ''Yeah? Like you protected Minho and Piper?'' He pointed at the girl as Newt grabbed his arm. ''What are you doing?''

''She's told us what you did. How many people is it gonna take? How many more people do they have to round up, torture, kill? Huh? When the hell does it stop?''

''It stops when we find a cure.''

''There is no goddamn cure!'' Piper turned to Newt, wondering if they needed to break it up, before either her or Newt could, Janson's voice rang out. ''Don't waste your breath, Teresa.'' Piper quickly pulled her gun up, pointing it at the man who was pointing his own gun at them. ''He made his choice long ago.''