Chapter seven

The group of five tried to get out of the city, but with at least half of WICKED on their trail, it was easier said than done. They were hiding behind small walls when a car sped past, Gally turning to Thomas and Piper who sat on his right. 

''Well, they're definitely pissed.'' Piper scoffed as she pulled the wet shirt from her head, throwing it to the side as she squeezed the water out of her hair. ''How far are the tunnels?''

''Uh, maybe 12 blocks from here.''

''We can make it.'' Piper turned to Minho and Newt as Minho looked at Newt, leaning over to him. ''Newt, how are you feeling?''

''Terrible. It's good to see you though.''

Minho climbed over to the other group, turning to Piper as he nodded to Newt. ''Hey. How long has he been like this?''

''Few days, we have to get to Brenda, she had the serum.'' He nodded as he grabbed her hand, pressing a kiss to her forehead as she leaned into him. Thomas was the first to get up and walk towards Newt. ''Come on, let's go.'' Piper sighed as she pulled herself to her feet, walking over to Newt as well as she took on his body weight. ''Hey, Newt. Come on, bud. We gotta get you up.'' Thomas spoke as he helped Piper to get him up his feet. ''Alrightly, let's get out of this shuck hole.'' 

''Thomas, are you there?''

''Thomas, can you hear me? It's Brenda.'' Thomas reached for the walkie as Piper quickly took over from him, holding Newt upright with Minho as Gally posted as a guard, his gun firmly in his hands. ''Thomas, it's Brenda, do you copy?'' He finally got it out as Piper and Minho lowered Newt onto the stairs, making him have a break. ''Yeah, Brenda, hey I'm here.''

''Where the hell are you guys?''

''We got Minho, we're on our way to the tunnels now.'' Piper could see him turn away from them, not wanting them to hear the next thing he would say. ''Brenda, Newt's not doing so good.'' Piper pursed her lips together as she waved a hand through her hair. ''Listen, don't worry about that, okay? I've got the serum.'' Piper sighed in relief, they just had to get to Brenda and it'd be alright. Newt heaved as her attention was pulled away from Thomas. ''You okay? Hang in there.'' Minho spoke as he let Newt rest his body weight on him. ''But Thomas, something's up, Lawrence is gone.'' Thomas turned to Gally as Piper looked at Minho, who gave her a nod as she got up from her place, walking up next to Thomas. ''What is she talking about, he's gone?''

''Him, his crew, everything.'' Piper turned to Gally, trying to read his expression. ''All cleared out. I mean, it's just weird. I don't know what's going on, but I think you need to get the hell out of there. Now.''

''Okay, yeah, we're on our way, just have the serum ready.'' Piper jumped back towards Newt, helping Minho get him up as she nodded to Thomas. ''Let's move.'' 

Piper was now up front as she jogged next to Gally, Minho and Thomas holding Newt upright. She turned to her right, seeing a cloud of fire raising over the city as Gally looked surprised. ''We're supposed to take down WICKED, not the whole damn city.'' Piper grabbed his arm as she heard the sirens around them. ''Gally, come on, we gotta move.'' 

''Tunnels are right up ahead.'' Piper was in the back as Gally was at the front, the two of them keeping the three Gladers in the middle safe as they rushed through the city. ''Shit! Hey! Stay low! Stay low!'' Piper was the first to look around, holding herself to the ground as she watched WICKED soldiers coming into the road. ''Get ready! All right, move up! Move up! Frontline down!''