Chapter seven

Piper woke up, throwing open her curtains with widened eyes. The sky was a dull slab of grey instead of it's usual pale light of the morning. She rushed over to her clothes, getting dressed in her running clothes as she rushed downstairs, running outside as she glanced at the sky, her jaw opening as she stared at the sun, more the lack of sun. The sun had disappeared. 

She found the Keepers, including Minho and Newt, in the homestead. Newt tapped Minho on his arm as he pointed at the girl. Minho turned around, walking towards her and grabbing her hand. ''Come on, we've gotta find Thomas, we're going back in.'' She nodded, letting him lead her to the Box, where most Gladers stood.

''Thomas!'' The two ran towards him. ''Quit your leisure time with Chucky here and let's get going. We're already late.'' Thomas stared at him for a moment as Chuck spoke. ''You're still going out there?'' Clearly surprised as well. ''Of course we are, shank.'' Minho said. ''Don't you have some sloppin' to do?'' He looked from Chuck to Thomas. ''If anything, gives us even more reason to get our butts out there. If the sun's really gone, won't be long before plants and animals drop dead, too. I think the desperation level just went up a notch.'' Thomas nodded.

''You mean we're going to stay out there overnight? Explore the walls a little more closely?'' Minho shook his head as Piper did the same. ''No, not yet. Maybe soon though.'' He looked up to the sky. ''Man - what a way to wake up. Come on, let's go.'' 

''All right. Let's go!'' The three of them ran through the changing Maze, going around multiple corners as Minho led the way, Thomas behind him and Piper behind him. ''This way. Not much further to the inner ring. Let's go!''

Minho gave all kinds of directions as they arrived at Section Seven. ''That's strange.''

''What?''

''Seven is not supposed to be open for another week.'' Minho replied as he stopped running and started walking, Piper in his left and Thomas on his right. ''What the hell is this place?''

''We call them blades.'' 

Minho led the way through the field, jogging at a steady pace when they found a bloody shirt

Minho led the way through the field, jogging at a steady pace when they found a bloody shirt.  ''It's Ben's, isn't it?'' Piper nodded at him. ''A Griever must have pulled him down here.'' Minho explained further. Piper frowned as she heard a pitched sound, trying to find the source as she turned to Minho ,opening his bag and taking out the device they found in the dead Griever. 

The more she walked, the more it clicked and ticked. ''I think it's showing us the way.'' She signed towards him, walking into a direction until it stopped clicking, walking into a direction that it started again. ''You guys ever see this place before?'' Thomas asked as they walked into a new corridor of the Maze. ''No.'' As Piper continued to walk towards the solid wall, Minho commented. ''Pipes, it's just another dead end.'' She shook her head, ending at the wall as the device went crazy before becoming silent.