Epilogue

''Minho! Piper! You guys okay?'' Thomas rushed to them. ''What about everybody else?'' Minho stumbled as Piper still sat on the ground, the world spinning as Teresa sat in front of her, keeping the girl upright. ''We lost a ton of people ... It's a mess of blood up there ... then they all just shut down.'' He paused as he took deep breaths, looking at Piper who had laid herself flat on the floor. ''Piper, you alright?''

She could only sign the word ''dizzy.'' to him, waiting for the world to stop spinning as Newt followed, then Frypan, then Winston and other Gladers. Minho did a count, twenty-one Gladers, that meant twenty of them died. Piper had gotten herself up, leaning against Teresa's body as she held her up. ''The rest?'' Thomas asked. ''Half of us,'' Newt spoke with a weak voice. ''Dead.''

No-one said a word for a while until Minho did, ''You know what? Half might've died, but half of us shucking lived. No-one got stung - just like Thomas though.'' He looked around, nodding to the other side of the long corridor. ''We gotta get out of here.'' Minho held onto Pipers waist as they walked. Even though she wasn't as dizzy anymore, she didn't dare to walk on her own, and she wanted Minho with her.

They walked through the long corridor till they found a sign that said 'exit'. Frypan looked at it, turning to the others. ''Seriously?'' They shrugged as Thomas opened the door, walking into the room when Piper noticed a man wearing a doctors coat in the corner, covered in blood and not moving.

She followed Thomas into the room, looking at the surroundings as they passed through it, avoiding all the dead bodies around them. She cringed as she moved her hand into Minho's, holding as they walked into a room with a lot of computers. ''So they were watching us.'' Piper nodded as she signed towards Newt. ''Beetle blades.''

She walked up to a computer with her own name on it, frowning at the name. 'Subject A6: Piper'.

''Hello. My name is Doctor Ava Paige.'' Her head snapped up to a screen, walking forwards as she stood in front of it. ''I'm Director of Operations of the World Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching this, that means you have successfully completed the Maze Trials. I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you... But circumstances seem to have prevented it. I'm sure by now, you must all be very confused... angry... frightened. I can only assure you, that everything that's happened to you... everything we've done to you... it was all done for a reason.'' Minho looked at Piper, taking her hand as he looked at the screen.

''You won't remember... but the Sun has scorched our world. Billions of lives lost to fire... famine... suffering on a global scale. The fallout was unimaginable. What came after was worse. We called it the Flare. A deadly virus that attacks the brain. It is violent... unpredictable... incurable. Or so we thought. In time, a new generation emerged that could survive the virus. Suddenly, there was a reason to hope for a cure.'' Piper realized why they were put into the Maze, they could be the cure to this.

''But finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed... inside harsh environments... where their brain activity could be studied. All in an effort to understand... what makes them different... what makes you different.'' All looked at each other before turning back to the screen. ''You may not realize it... but you're very important. Unfortunately, your trials have only just begun. As you will no doubt soon discover, not everyone agrees with our methods. Progress is slow, people are scared. It may be too late for us... for me...'' Piper took a step back as in the background of the video, people came in running with guns, shooting the people. She turned around, that must have been what happened here too. ''but not for you. The outside world awaits. Remember...'' The woman too a gun, pointing it at her own head. ''Wicked is good.'' Then, she shot herself, the screen became dark. Then, they turned around, seeing a woman laying on the ground in a white suit, that must have been her.