Prologue: The scorch Trials

Piper stared out of the window of the helicopter as Minho's head rested on her shoulder, softly snoring as he slept. Newt sat opposite of her, also staring out of the window as he sat next to Thomas. She tapped on his knee as he turned to her, softly chuckling at the sight of a snoring Minho. 

The helicopter landed as frantic screams went over, waking the others as the Gladers were pushed out of the helicopter, running towards a building as Minho and Piper were at the front. Piper turned around for a moment, looking if the others were able to catch up, especially Newt with his limp. 

When they were finally inside, the door closed behind them, Minho turning to Piper and grabbing her arm to pull her close, holding the girl as they were pushed into a room. ''Get inside, hurry, hurry!'' The door was slammed shut behind him, Thomas banging his fist on the door. ''Hey, hey, hey! Let us out!'' The lights went on, all Gladers turning to a table filled with food. 

''Dibs on the rice.'' Frypan spoke quickly as they all pushed and shoved passed each other, shoving food into their mouths. Various foods were spread around, chicken, rice, cookies, water, fruit. Piper pushed Minho to the side softly, grabbing a spoonful of rice as she stuffed it into her mouth. 

''This is way better than Frypan's slop

''This is way better than Frypan's slop.'' Winston spoke between chews. They all laughed as Teresa threw a handful of rice towards him, which resulted in all of them throwing food to one another. ''The rice, not the rice!'' Frypan grabbed the bowl, holding it to his body as Piper threw a handful of grapes towards the side, hitting both Minho and Newt as Minho looked at her with a playful look. ''Oh you're going down.'' 

She quickly rushed away from her spot as Minho grabbed a handful of rice from another bowl, rushing after the girl. He finally cornered her with help of Newt, pushing his hand into her face, getting the rice all over her as she tried to hide her face. The others laughed as they watched the scene. 

''I don't know who these guys are, but they can cook.'' Frypan spoke as they all sat in a circle, some still eating. ''But who are they really? We don't know anything about them.'' Teresa spoke, leaning her head on her elbow as she sat on a stack of bags filled with flower. 

''Well, we know they're no friends of WICKED.'' Newt spoke from besides her. ''That's good enough for me.'' Minho spoke from where he laid on the table with Piper, the girl laying on top of him with her head resting on his chest. She sat up when he did, scooting down onto the picnic bench. ''You guys think too much, we're free. Enjoy it.'' Piper looked at him as he smiled, leaning forward and pecking her lips. ''Ugh, get a room.'' Teresa threw a pillow towards them as Minho looked at her. ''If we could, we would.''

''Ugh, gross.'' 

About an hour later, the door opened, all Gladers standing up as a man walked in. They all walked towards the door, Minho holding onto Piper's hand as they walked. ''You kids doing all right? Sorry about all the fuss. We had ourselves a bit of a swarm.''

''Who are you?'' Thomas asked him. ''I'm the reason you're all still alive. It's my intention to keep you that way. Now, come with me. We'll get you kids squared away.'' Walking into the hallway and around the building, Minho and Piper walked just behind Thomas. You can call me Mr. Janson. I run this place. For us it is a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world. You all should think of it as a way station. Kind of a home between homes.'' He pointed up, where shards of electricity and fire fell down. ''Watch yourselves.''

''That mean you're taking us home?'' Thomas asked, the hopefulness obvious in his voice. ''A home of sorts.'' Janson turned around again, ''Sadly, there wouldn't be much left of wherever you came from. But we do have a place for you. A refuge, outside the Scorch, where WICKED will never find you again.'' He smiled at the group before turning back. ''How does that sound?'' Piper turned to Newt as she signed, ''too good to be true.'' Minho nodded as he spoke. ''Why are you helping us?''

''Let's just say the world out there is in a rather precarious situation. We're all hanging on by a very thin thread. The fact that you kids can survive the Flare virus... makes you the best chance of humanity's continued survival. Unfortunately, it also makes you a target, as no doubt by now you've noticed.'' Piper turned to the others, signing to them. ''Only a bit.'' Newt chuckled as he nodded. ''Beyond this door lies the beginning of your new lives. First things first...'' The door behind him opened as he turned to the teenagers.  ''let's do something about that smell.''

So, the food fight is from a deleted scene from the movies and I liked it so much that I decided to include it, as it was one of the fun scene's of the movies. This book will go off more off movies but I have some scenes planned from the book to put in there, so not to worry! If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading to stay updated of when I post. See you on Wednesday!

-X Violet's-library