Chapter nine

Rushing to the Map Room the girl stopped in her tracks as she stared at the burned down Map Room. Thomas and Newt came running up to the two Runners. ''What happened?'' 

''Everything's gone. The giant map, the trunk with our drawings of the Maze.'' Minho sighed. ''Everything.'' 

''Who do you think did it?''

''Maybe Gally, he seems to want to stay here? The Grievers, who knows? I don't care.'' Piper signed towards them, Thomas frowned at her. ''Now who's the one giving up?'' 

''That's not what she meant, shank.'' Thomas frowned as he turned to the two, ''what did-''

''Just shut your hole for now.'' Minho put his fingers to his lips, his eyes darting around to see if anyone was around them. ''Just shut your hole. You'll find out soon enough.''  Thomas nodded before looking at the others. ''I need to tell you guys something, and we need Teresa's help.'' 

The other three followed Thomas towards Teresa, looking at the girl as Minho stood with his hands on his hips. ''How can we trust her?'' He asked. ''Soon as she woke up, the whole place fell to pieces. She even admitted she triggered something.''

''He's got a point.'' Newt said as Thomas gestured to her. ''We can trust her. Every time I've talked to her, it's something about trying to get out of here. She was sent here just like the rest of us - it's stupid to think she's responsible for any of this.'' Newt grunted as Piper tilted her head towards the Brit. ''Then what the bloody shuck did she mean by sayin' she triggered something?'' 

Thomas shrugged, ''who knows - her mind was doing all kinds of weird stuff when she woke up. Maybe we all went through that in the Box, talking gibberish before we came totally awake.'' 

''You guys understand that I can hear everything right?''

''Real sweet girl you picked up, Tommy.'' Newt looked towards Piper, ''I prefer Piper.'' She gave a smile before signing a, 'thank you' towards him. Minho turned to Teresa, looking over her as he stepped closer to Piper. ''All right, talk. What's so important?'' Thomas and Teresa looked at each other as the girl lifted her eyebrow.

''What? You talk - they obviously think I'm a serial killer.'' Thomas turned his attention to the three before him. ''Okay, when Teresa was first coming out of her deep sleep, she had memories flashing through her mind. She um - '' Piper frowned, how did Thomas know any of this, they hadn't talked much. ''she told me later that she remembers that the Maze is a code. That maybe instead of solving it to find a way out, it's trying to send us a message.'' 

''A code?'' Minho turned to Piper as she shrugged. ''How is it a code?'' Thomas shook his head at them. ''I don't know for sure - you two are more familiar with them. But I have a theory. That's why I was hoping you guys would remember some of them.'' Piper and Minho glanced at Newt, asking him silently. ''What? You guys are keeping something from me.'' 

Piper nodded at Minho, urging him to go. ''We hid the Maps. Thomas. We hid them all in the weapon room, placed fake ones in their place. Because of Alby's warning he gave you when you talked.'' He nodded at them. ''They're all safe and sound.''

''Take me to them.''

''Okay, let's go.'' 

Piper pulled all of her maps out of the trunk, laying them around the room, giving them to Thomas. ''Okay, you and the Runners have always compared the maps day to day, right?'' Piper nodded towards him. ''You even said you didn't really know what you were looking for, but you kept studying them anyway.'' Minho nodded as well as he folded his arms. ''Well, what if all the wall movements had nothing to do with a map or the Maze. What if instead the pattern spelled words? Some kind of clue that'll help us escape.''