06

: *. .* :☆゚6. Past Relationships

❝It's pretty ironic, right?❞

It's pretty ironic, right?

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Can I ask you a personal question?" Sugawara asked as he passed [y/n] a mug of tea overly dossed in sugar. It was Sugawara's personal favourite hangover cure, though it's not like the two were hungover — yet — but it would suffice in sobering them up.

She hummed in thought as she took the mug from his hands and took a sip. Moving over to huddle the corner of the couch to give Sugawara some space to sit as well.
"I don't see why not," she replied with a smile, keeping the mug close to her lips and holding it with both hands, just like she did with her glass at the bar, Sugawara had noticed.

"Ask away."
Sugawara sighed and placed his mug on the coffee table in front of him. "Were you in a relationship with Masahi?" He found the courage to ask, hoping to fix the jealously problem he had with an actor he had never met.
"We were," [y/n] answered, almost hesitatingly and looking up to the celling as if she was remembering.
"But not anymore?" Sugawara asked, shuffling in his seat.
"No, not anymore," [y/n] laughed. Sugawara wasn't sure what she was laughing about.

"We both moved to American around the same time and we pretty much bonded over the fact we were from the same country — similar area too — trying to find work in the same industry," she explained herself. She felt like she had to. After all, [y/n] did storm out of Masahi's car because of reasons unknown to Sugawara. She didn't really know why she felt the need to defend Masahi, maybe because she wanted to show Sugawara that her taste in men wasn't assholes (that leave you stranded in the middle of the road).

"We worked on some stuff together and I dunno it just sorta worked out the way it did," [y/n] continued, shrugging her shoulders. Since her success with her recent work, life had seemed pretty blurry and fast all of a sudden, she want lying when she said she didn't really know what changed between her and Masahi, that was just as blurry as everything else.

"Why'd you break up?" Sugawara continued to ask questions. His curiosity really was getting the better of him.
"We weren't exactly dating to be honest," [y/n] admitted, a beginning blush form on her cheeks, "I just... slept with him a few times and then we stopped, that's all," she mumbled, staring down at the tea swirling around in the mug as she moved it around in her hands.
"I see," Sugawara answered after a few, long seconds. He felt that familiar feeling of jealously run through him again, a hint of anger was there too. He shouldn't be feeling like this. They had barely spoke in the last few years, it wasn't fair to assume she was still pinning over him as an adult. [y/n] had every right to date and sleep with however she wanted, they weren't in a relationship. Although he couldn't help but wish it was him she wanted.

"What about you?" [y/n] lifted her head to look at with a newfound smile which distracted him from his thoughts, "have you met any lovely people since me?" Her tone was jokey once again. The change of subject probably helped (and was needed).

"Well, not really," Sugawara laughed, rubbing the back of his neck and eyeing the mug he had placed on the coffee table, "I don't really enjoy having girlfriends or boyfriends that much anymore, it never works out." [y/n] hummed in reply, maybe in agreement. A short silence then followed before [y/n] let out a soft chuckle.

"What?" Sugawara asked, pulling his eyes away from the mug to look at [y/n].
"I dunno, maybe it that alcohol's doing but I always thought about this, especially right after our break up," she spoke with a smile.
"What?" Sugawara asked again, moving his body to face her properly.
"It's pretty ironic, right?" [y/n] answered, "everyone always thought that I was the one that was 'going to break your heart' and we'd 'never last because of me' " she giggled to herself as she attempted to do some random impressions.
"Now look at us, you're the one talking about not being able to keep a relationship and the one who broke up with me."

Sugawara's heart dropped. He honestly couldn't tell if [y/n] was still bitter about the situation but the look on her face said otherwise. She looked like she generally found humour in the situation now. He didn't know what was worse...

The fact she still resented him.
Or that fact that she was completely over it.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

[y/n] and sugawara live action version