Chapter 2: Peeta's POV:

The first thing I notice when I wake up is that I'm on a very uncomfortable bed that has my arms strapped tightly to the sides of it. That means I escaped the arena. I am alive! Katniss and I are safe! Katniss and I.....wait. Where am I? Where is Katniss? Thoughts come surging into my head from the night before and I begin to struggle. "Katniss? Can you hear me? Are you here?" I whisper, thinking maybe that she is here with me, somehow. If only it was that easy. Hopefully she is safe with Haymich and Effie or back home, celebrating the victory of winning the quarter quell with her family. These thoughts calm me down and I sigh with relief in feeling that she is safe, maybe. This helps me focus on my surroundings. I notice that the door to my room is slightly ajar, with a peacekeeper on either side of it. One turns around and sees that I'm awake. He whispers over to the other guard for what seems like a lifetime. What could they possibly be talking about? Maybe they are surprised that I woke up. But why? I wasn't hurt that bad, I think. I look down at my body and take in a long breath. Scars cover me from head to toe, and my arm is wrapped in a small cast. I must have broken it. One of the guards gives a quick nod of approval to the other and then walks away, he looks at me for a quick glance and shakes his head as if he feels sorry for me. I don't need his pity, and it makes me furious when he looks at me and laughs, saying "Good luck, lover boy! You'll need it!" Luckily, they both leave to go do whatever they were talking about. I struggle against the straps some more but it is no use. I have a pounding headache from such a long 24 hours and am ready for whatever joke this is to end so I can find Katniss. My eyelids grow heavy and I fall asleep a few minutes later. Before I fall asleep though, I think I see someone walk through my door, but I'm too tired to see who it is.