Chapter 35: Katniss's POV:

I wake up from a strange dream that involves Peeta soothing me. It made me feel better after the terrible past couple days. The dream made me feel confident that Peeta was going to be ok, and I relax slightly. My thoughts are then interrupted when a young doctor with long hair comes in. I can tell she looks nervous because she is wringing her hands and glancing around the room. I sit up in my bed to let her know I'm listening and she looks over at me like she has seen me for the first time. "Oh! Um....hello Ms. Everdeen...." Something's wrong. She still wrings her hands and looks like she is about to cry. I still don't say anything though, so it won't make her more nervous. We sit like this for a few more minutes before she finally talks again. "I'm so sorry, Ms. Everdeen......but....um....it's about Peeta." My heart clenches and my stomachs flips over. I immediately ditch the idea of being polite and I speak for the first time, "Where is he? What's wrong?" I'm stern with my words even though I can feel the tears getting ready to spill over. I'm starting to shake and my voice cracks when I completely lose patience with her. "WHAT IS WRONG?!" I almost yell. I get out of bed, still shaking, and walk up to the doctor. My tears are threatening to spill over as I look up at her with desperation. She must see it in my eyes and how I'm shaking and finally tells me the words I was pleading not to hear. "I'm so sorry Ms. Everdeen...." She starts. "But....Peeta's heart stopped about an hour ago, we tried everything, but he was already gone." She looks at the floor as I let what she says slip in. My knees buckle and I fall into a heap on the floor and the tears are streaming down my face and onto the floor. My voice makes this ugly noise as my entire sanity is poured out of me. Peeta's dead. She must be mixed up, he can't be gone. He was supposed to live a long, happy life and have a wife and children of his own and be happy. "NO. YOU ARE LYING." I yell at the nurse, even though it's not her fault, I just need someone to take my anger out on. She looks up at me with sadness and replies, "I'm so sorry...." She turns and walks out of the room and leaves me to grieve by myself. I'm a complete mess as I sob and choke and scream. I think of his smile, love, his beautiful blue eyes and kindheartedness towards everyone, all gone, never to be seen again. "It's all my fault." I sob into my hands. I think I hear the door open again and see Haymich walk in with small tears even in HIS eyes. That shows what an impact Peeta had on all of us. On me. He left a mark on this world that no one can ever forget. And I hate him for it.