Chapter 17: Peeta's POV:

I suck in a breath. She's here right in front of me. I smile as I pull the knife I brought from my room out of my hospital gown. I'm next to her and am about to kill her when the strangest thing starts happening. She starts saying my name in her sleep. "PEETA NO!" She whimpers. "PEETA!" She has a terrified look on her face while she sleeps as if she's about to lose something. "Please.....don't......leave....." She mutters other things, but I can't make them out. I freeze up and don't know what to do. My muscles relax and my headache has disappeared slightly. She's sweating and crying as she tosses and turns in her sleep. For some reason, I feel the urge to run up to her and start to whisper soothing things into her ear. Slowly, carefully I walk over to her and kneel down beside her head. "Shh...it's ok. It's just a nightmare." I whisper. This seems to help her, so I continue to say things to help her sleep. She finally calms down and falls back into a peaceful sleep. I stand up and stare at her for a moment as my mind tries to sort things together. What is wrong with me? Don't I want to kill her? My mind whirls with confusion. I'm walking back to the door to walk out when two guards burst through and point guns at me. "Stay where you are!" They yell. I hear Katniss jump awake. "What's going on?" She asks. She looks around and then her eyes land on me. She freezes. "Peeta? Is that you?" She looks at me with happiness and sadness at the same time. One of the guards speaks up. "He snuck into your room and was going to kill you." He speaks matter a factly. She looks heartbroken, but still keeps her eyes on me. "Peeta? Is this true?" She asks quietly. My heart breaks because part of what he says is true. "Katniss let me explain..." "Your coming with us. I'm afraid the there is nothing more we can do for you here. You have tried to kill to many people. We have already contacted Coin. You will be released from District 13 in 2 weeks." My heart stops. I can't leave when I'm starting to get better. Katniss is up and running towards them with tears on her face. "NO! She cant! Coin and I made a deal!" She cries. "I'm sorry but he is dangerous..." The guard tries to go on but I interrupt. "Please don't. I'm starting to get better! I'm really trying I swear..." I'm crying now. "I swear I'll do anything you want, just please don't throw me out." Katniss walks up right next to me, she's a little weary, but she slowly intertwines her hand with mine. A memory comes back, only for a short moment. We are in the chariot right before the tribute parade of the quarter quell. I look over at her and she smiles as we reach our hands out to hold on to each other. The vision clears. "Katniss! Stay away, please, I don't want to hurt you." I step away from her and run past the guards and through the doors. "Wait! Stop him!" I hear the guards chasing after me. I have to get away from her. If I hurt her, I would never forgive myself. I run until I can't run anymore, literally. I collapse to the ground with blurry vision and troubles breathing. The guards are on me instantly and inject something into my arm. I see Katniss push past them and kneels down in front of me. "I don't care if you hurt me anymore Peeta. I just want you back, please," a tear runs down her cheek. "Stay with me," she whispers and runs her shaky fingers through my hair. Too many memories of those words flood my mind. Right before I pass out I remember. "Always...." I whisper.