Chapter 33: Katniss's POV:

The mutt's eyes glowed with so much intensity I had to look away. I waited for them to attack us, but they never did. They started looking around and that's when I realized something. They can't see in the dark. I tug on Haymich's arm and guide him through the gates. After we are through, I turn around and slam the gates shut. With that, the mutts start banging against the indestructible bars. I turned around and went to grab Haymich's shoulder, but touched Peeta's instead and I froze. He was ice cold and I could barely feel him breathing. "We need to go. Now." I say to Haymich as we run forward. We run until I see a faint glow up ahead. "Tell Beetee to turn the electric back on." I say to Haymich. He struggles with his communicuff but gets through to tell Beetee. Peeta's pale face comes into view as we get closer to the open doors. I have to look away so I can focus, because he doesn't look good at all. He is barely awake, but I hear him cough and go to speak. "I'm sorry, Katniss. I'm so sorry..." He croaks. I grab his hand and squeeze to let him know that I'm sorry as well because I am trying not to cry. He isn't going to die. He isn't going to die... He squeezes my hand back and whispers on last sentence before we pass through the doors. "I wanted to tell you earlier, but I.....I love you." He whispers. "I want to know the truth..." I'm barely holding it together as he slips into unconsciousness and his hand goes slack out of mine. As I sprint into the place where Peeta will be saved, I can see we are in the back of the cafeteria of District 13. I gasp with joy but we still sprint, fighting so Peeta can live. We run past all the gaping mouths and murmurs as we pass straight to the hospital wing. "HELP! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!" I yell as soon as we get into the room. Someone hears me and comes running. The doctor gets to us right as the three of us collapse on the floor. "We will get you three help immediately." She says. I look up at her with panicked eyes. "No! I'm fine, just please help him." I point at Peeta and finally allow myself to cry. My tears come down like rain as I am lifted onto a hospital bed and watch Peeta and Haymich be wheeled away. "He'll be ok Sweetheart, I promise." Says Haymich. He doesn't sound so sure, but it gives me a little hope. I watch Peeta until I can't see him anymore and cry as they wheel me into my own room and shut the door. I cry by myself and grieve for what I could lose if something else goes wrong. I think of Peeta's bright blue eyes when he would look at me. His smile. I hold onto these little bits and pieces of him and force myself to lay down. He will be ok. He WILL be ok.