Chapter 6: The Unsolicited Text

"Nice game Hermione." 

"Hey Gin." Hermione responded but she didn't look up. She was doing some reading for Professor Snape's class and while she knows she's always at the top of things, the professor seem to think otherwise.

"What game by the way?" She added still not looking up. "Don't play coy with me Hermione." Ginny responded as she took the seat opposite her friend.

At Ginny's reply, Hermione stopped reading and looked at her friend. "How'd you manage to get an accomplice in Malfoy anyway?" Ginny asked.

"What are you talking about?" Hermione answered with a question. "Are you telling me you changed your profile picture to one of you and Malfoy without his permission?" Ginny pried.

"I asked for his permission of course. As if you don't know I play by the rules." Hermione said. "So you are playing!" Ginny grinned.

"Huh?" Hermione's only response. "You are engaged to a social media war with my brother and that bitch are you not?" Ginny said. "Like tennis. Your posts answer to each other." The red head supplied.

"I didn't mean play by the rules like that. I just meant that I like following certain courtesies. You know, using things other people own only after they've allowed me to. Or not cheating on examinations or relationships for that matter."

"Ouch. That should sting." Harry said as he sat next to Hermione. He just heard her bitter reply on the matter the two young ladies were talking about.

"Shouldn't affect you." Ginny addressed Harry. "Of course. I meant you. Since your brother obviously cheated," Harry responded without thinking. "No offense." He added after having realized what he just said.

Sure, Ginny wasn't the reason why Hermione's words were salty. But if there was a person in the great hall right now who is entitled to get hurt by the harsh words the best friends were saying, it would be her. Family is family. Even if a member did something wrong.

"It's fine Harry." Ginny said with a wave of her hand, dismissing the awkward exchange of words. After hearing from Hermione that Ron broke up with her only in January, it just solidified the fact that Ron cheated by taking Lavender home during the Christmas break.

*******

Ron would not admit it but it stung when he saw the screencap Lavender sent him. It was one thing for Hermione to post a picture of hers and Malfoy's silhouettes, and another when it was Malfoy who posted it. And a clear version at that.

He had always disliked Draco. Not only was the latter so privileged, but he was also rubbing it on anyone he deems lower than him just because they didn't have the money his family has. His family used to be in the Sacred Twenty-eight for crying out loud!

Malfoy has, for 6 years, taunted him about his family being poor. And while he can get back at Malfoy for being spineless, he knows he's no better than him now. Especially when his friends have traded him for Malfoy after his break up with Hermione.

He can't fool everyone. He knows that. Not everyone in Hogwarts is as gullible and easy as Lavender and her kind of crowd.

It was a slip. A mistake he was not able to put into calculation. Despite him being quite the strategist, his designs of making his relationship with Lavender known by everyone wasn't put up well. How could he have not put into consideration that one thing? The fact.