Chapter 24: Train to Hogwarts

The kiss didn't happen. She wished it did. If they were going to be uneasy being in close proximity with each other, they should have at least done it. But they didn't. Not that they didn't want to. Draco was obviously flustered and she admired at how he kept his cool.

"Oh." It was Lavender who first spoke.

"Bloody hell Hermione!" This time it was Ron. "How could you!? With Malfoy!" He added. Lavender threw Ron a sharp glare but it did nothing as Ron made his way inside the room.

Sure he's seen them together a couple of times. And although he is loathe to admit it, he feels like Hermione and Draco have developed an affection for each other. But it's still very different from seeing them about to kiss. This, he was not prepared for.

"What do you mean what's wrong with me?" Hermione asked about to stand but Draco put an arm up to create a barrier so she kept on her seat. "Draco." She said, putting a hand on his arm to tell him to let her go.

"So he's Draco now?" Ron asked. For the first time in a long while, Lavender was speechless. She was probably thinking of a way to make it about her instead.

"He's been Draco for a long time. Just as long as you've been a Weasley." Hermione snapped. Draco looked at her and shook his head to tell her to stop.

Hermione nodded although she was fuming and Draco gave her a smile as a reward. He then stood up in her stead and faced the angry Weasley. "You don't want to do this here Weasley." He said.

"The hell I don't!" Ron said shoving Draco that Lavender saw it the right time to interfere. "Drop it Ron!" She said. In this moment, Hermione thought Lavender did the right thing.

"How can you do this Hermione!? Date anyone. Anyone, except him!" Ron continued, trying to pry Lavender off him while his other hand pointed at Draco.

Draco just straightened his dress shirt and gestured for Hermione to get behind his back. The latter did as she was requested, her expression, anxious. She knew she can handle Ron but it seems today will be difficult. Even Lavender was finding it hard to suppress Ron's rage.

"As far as Hermione is concerned, you have no say on who she dates. The only person who took that privilege from you is yourself." Draco said. "I suggest you quietly step outside and pretend this never happened. If you so much as touch any of us in this room, I will make certain it is the last thing you ever do."

"Yeah? Well you've no right to ask me to do anything!"Ron seethed. "I am saving both of you from shame." Draco said. "You are in my territory. Your 'friend' is working for my aunt. You'd do well listening to my request. You don't want to jeopardize what Ms.Brown has worked hard for."

"The fuck do I care if she loses the damn job!?"

That was what Ronald Weasley said before he felt Lavender let go of him. He turned to her as it finally dawned on him what he just said. He was about to apologize but her hand connected with his face even before he uttered the words.

"That was foul Ron." Hermione said, eyeing him daggers as Lavender left the room. Draco then shifted to put a hand on the small of Hermione's back to lead her outside too, but not before having his last words.

"I will pretend that this never happened and talk my aunt into making sure you catch a flight tonight for some other reason. Make sure you leave as soon as arrangements are made."