Chapter 30: The Love Button (1st tie-in)

It truly is a huge estate. The Malfoy Manor is. It will take a person a few minutes to walk from the front door of the house to the gates. Fifteen minutes to be exact. At least that's how much time Ron and Lavender spent walking to the house. So the walk from the house would be the same wouldn't it?

The Potters offered to give the twins a lift. Blaise is driving Ginny home. And while he and Lavender can fit in the Weasley family van, with the omission of Ginny and the twins from the count, Ron opted to leave the way they arrived.

Draco actually offered to see them off to the gates "if you don't want me to arrange a ride for you" which made Ron think that the git was in fact way beyond his league. He was in constant denial of that fact.

If there was anything he learned from attending the soirée, it's the truth that he's the worst person in the room. He knows that now. Especially when Lavender is quiet next to him. The quiet made the walk seem excruciatingly longer.

He almost jumped for joy at the sight of the iron gates if it weren't subject for an even awkward situation. Also, he'd probably crack his bones once he landed, his legs almost stiff with the cold.Ron now wondered how much worse it is for her.

Imagine being in a dress. Wearing high heeled shoes. In winter. Thank Merlin she had a coat on! Lavender didn't even complain earlier. And now she's doing it the second time! No wonder Draco looked a bit unsure to let them go.

How stupid and insensitive could he be? He even remembered almost snorting hearing Theo ask Draco, "will they be fine?" in the background. He even answered in his mind smugly, "of course we would."

"Thank you." He heard Lavender say. It broke his reverie.

He realized she wasn't talking to him though, but to one of the Malfoy's security guards on duty. He just opened the gates for them. The man even took off his cap to salute to gesture his "your welcome" to Lavender's "thank you" and wished them Happy Christmas, together with a colleague, from inside their probably warm work station.

He really hadn't been good this year too, had he? Even the Malfoy's security were better at exhibiting social behavior than him. On the previous year, about this time, he was cheating on Hermione with Lavender. And now, he's making the girl who he supposedly likes and he cheat on Hermione with, walk a damned chilly road cause he was a proud for nothing piece of shit.

-------------

Lavender couldn't really place her emotions right now. The night had been like riding a roller coaster of some sort. Not that it being overall pathetic was the most obvious word to describe it.

She just attended a soirée dressed like fourth year Hermione Granger because they had this weird idea that making her remember the time she loved Ron would miraculously bring it back. What a stupid idea really. Not only did Hermione look unaffected by it, but Draco also subtly called her out on it. As if there was anything more embarrassing than that.

But then again, who was she to judge what was more embarrassing when the night just started? Certainly she didn't count on Ron ditching her on the dance floor. She almost died of embarrassment then.

There were those. Then there was this moment when she actually wanted to be buried alive. Pansy Parkinson arranging a video clip for her was nice. An act of kindness towards her that she didn't think she deserved. And what of Draco and Hermione gifting her flowers?

It meant friendship, didn't it?

After all the bad things she did, why would anyone want to bother to be nice? She wouldn't even be nice to herself if she were them. She certainly won't.