A Snowy Night in the Middle of June (23)

ETHAN POV
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Time passed very fast. The Ladies required our assistance less in less as we exited spring and slowly began to enter summer.

We had advanced quite a bit in our lessons. We occasionally trained in the woods. Some of the new techniques we learned were how to be completely silent when stalking a target, along with how to be quick navigating through the woods. We were no experts, but we weren't completely hopeless.

"It is my birthday soon," I told Xiuying and she gasped.

"How old will you be turning?" She asked, as she set down the knife, she was using to slice potatoes.

"Seventeen," I answered nonchalantly. A smile of excitement grew on her face.

"You will soon be a man!" She exclaimed excitedly. I hadn't thought about it that way. So many people treated me as if I were a kid, I started to forget just how old I was.

"That's another year away," I dismissed the claim, and she hushed me.

"Another year will pass as soon as this one has!" She stated as she wrapped her arms around me. She pulled away, "I shall go tell Alpha Freddy! He'd be pleased to celebrate the birthday of the guardian of Luna!" She quickly gathered her things.

"You don't have to do that," I promised, but before I could get the whole sentence out, she was already out of the house.

"What was that about?" Irene asked as she entered the house, looking past her at Xiuying who excitedly ran down the trails.

Irene spent most of her free time out with the Ladies—or Shinso to be more specific. I hadn't been socializing with many people like she was.

My birthday passed, and I was now seventeen. The pack held a huge feast for me once they caught wind of my birthday.

"To Omobla!" Alpha Freddy cheered. He raised his glass of wine high in the air, and everyone else repeated. I felt my cheeks get warm as they did so.

My issue of not making many friends immediately disappeared during the feast. I have made friends, many of them. And because of the lessons, I could keep a conversation going with them in Redsion. Irene could too.

"You should've seen him when we first met! He was scrawny! Like a stick!" Irene laughed to the friends she clung onto. They laughed and giggled.

"You weren't much better! I vividly remember your wobbly knees," I teased. She gasped before she smacked me with a piece of chicken. Shinso laughed loudly. Her laugh was almost as funny as her brothers. It reminded me of an eagle's screech.

It was late at night when we celebrated. The moon shining above us. It was a full moon, and yet I've never felt calmer in my entire life.

There was singing and dancing, The Ladies put on a beautiful show for us. They sang and we sang along with them.

My favorite song was called "The Little Red Lady's Sword". It was a tale of a girl who fought vampires with a sword made from red dragon scales. Irene didn't like the song nearly as much as I did.

"You know, Despair was a red dragon," Irene whispered to me during the song, "I can kind of understand these people's hate for red dragons, but I'm scared they hate all dragons," Irene confessed with an anxious tone. I held her hands to try and calm her down.

"I don't know how anyone could hate you," I said as if it was the most unbelievable thing in the world, and it was.

She was too kind to be hated. Anyone who said anything bad about her was just a rude person, and it had nothing to do with her. She gave me a smile before she rested her head on my shoulder.