A Witch Amongst Wolves (13)

ETHANS POV
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Irene's home was beautiful. It was a large cottage in the middle of the forest. The woods circled around the cottage. The only problem was it looked as if it hadn't been touched in decades. Plants overran the building, as if the earth was trying to swallow it whole.

The windows were shattered and the door was broken down, but even then it was still lovely.

Irene, however, didn't see the same beauty I saw. She paused as we stood right before the open doorway. Her eyes watered but she didn't cry, she just blinked back all of her tears.

She couldn't look at it for long. She turned and covered her eyes with her arms. Her breath trembled and I didn't blame her. I pressed my hand to her back.

I wanted to ask where her family was, but I feared I already knew the answer.

"Come with me, back to my pack," I suggested. That seemed to take her mind off of whatever was about to make her sob. She picked her head up and looked at me, confused and unsure, "Please."

Irene thought about it, only for a split second until her head nodded. I smiled but her face stayed darkened, "They will hate me. I am a witch and half dragon," she frowned.

I hadn't even thought about that. Werewolves were usually reserved animals. Hell, we didn't even get along with each other majority of the time. But what else could I do? She couldn't stay in a rundown cottage so close to the blue pack and vampires.

"They won't hurt you," I promise. She still looked unsure but she nodded anyway. We turned and began to head east.

The area we were in was called the "Blue Enchanted Forest" or something like that. Not only because of the blue pack that lived in the surrounding area, but also because of the witches whose magic was always blue. Irene must've been one of those blue witches.

The forest was enchanting just as the name indicated. It was filled with thick trees and tones of life. I was amazed because our trees were thin and spread out.

The sun began to set and the air grew cold. I had been in that cave for eight weeks, two months. Summer was coming to an end and my heart dropped just from the thought.

When it became too dark to navigate, we camped out by a thick tree. It was terrifying but I tried to keep ourselves distracted, asking her questions as she asked me some.

She examined her feet lit up by the light from the fire. Her feet were rough. They were stained and bruised.

"How old are you?" I asked as I poked at the fire with a stick, watching it burn before I pulled it out and blew on it. We had been stuck in the cave for so long, but we never had simple conversations like this. We were usually never alone for long.

Irene was silent for a moment as she tried to think. "Thirteen, I think," she mumbled, "And you?"

"Sixteen," I admitted, almost like a mumble. I wanted to be proud and excited to be sixteen, it was a birthday I had been looking forward to for so long. But, I couldn't be excited. I went unconscious, got rejected, hurt, and kidnapped ever since my birthday.

"What is the purple pack like?" She finally looked up from her feet.

I was slow to respond. The truth was, I didn't know much. I hadn't been there for long and for a good chunk of it, I was unconscious. I hadn't even been there for more than two weeks—awake anyway.

"The Alpha female is my aunt," I said. That information made my stomach feel light. I hadn't even had time to process it when I found out. And her sister, Nala. My mother. The one in the "Happy Place Realm." It was all so confusing. "Her name is Lonni. She's really nice. Her mate, Leo, is ok," I shrugged.