A Wall Made of Scales (67)

IRENE POV
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The war was on hold. Both sides were shaken up from what happened, I suppose. Things grew to chaos as people stood outside of the alpha house, demanding for Ethan to either be killed or exiled.

I felt sick.

This was day number three that Ethan was knocked out; how long would it take? No one in the house brought up the topic of Ethan. I knew it was an argument and a half waiting to happen the moment someone said his name.

I stayed with Daniel. The idea of his mother being so cruel as to bring back my sister made me disgusted. I didn't let that effect my relationship with Daniel, though.

Daniel was growing and asked a lot of questions. Too many I couldn't answer. He asked about his father, the one he had been too young to remember. Ethan told me what had happened, how his father was killed by one of Tisha's vampires.

He also asked about his mother, a question that was even more bitter to answer, "Are you, my mommy?" He asked and I nearly choked.

"I'm not," I answered calmly, "Why would you think that?"

"We are very similar! We both even have magic," he explained, and I guess it made sense, "If you're not it than who is?"

"You don't have one," I told him, "We found you out in the woods, remember?"

He frowned, seemingly upset with that answer. At first, he didn't question it, but I suppose now he was. I didn't understand why he was so stuck up on it. He lived in a house full of orphans.

Ryan and Noah didn't have parents. Alec's mother died from sickness and his father died during a battle. Lonni's parents died in a traumatic fire, and Leo's parents died during war. Ethan's father was killed by his mother and his mother was killed by Leo's parents. No one here had parents so what made him so curious?

Well, I suppose he's been spending time with the other kids since the house became somewhat of a day care.

Day four, and Ethan was still fast asleep. But now, we were discussing what to do about it. War had fallen still, and everyone was in chaos.

"What?! We can't just lock him up!" Alec protested as Leo threw the idea out loosely. Everyone else was quick to disagree when the idea was mentioned, especially me.

Like they all read my thoughts, Leo said, "Alec, this is very serious. He tried to kill Irene, the only person he actually cares about! I don't like the idea of locking him up either, but what choice do we have? He is dangerous!"

"He was scared!" I defended, "And confused! Anyone would choke up in the kind of situation he was in!"

"He didn't just choke up! He blinded and killed and created a blizzard out of thin air!" Riley said, as if she'd know anything about what happened. She fidgeted with a necklace; one I had never seen before. It had a thin golden lace and a shiny opal on it. It was beautiful—but not when she wore it.

"But he didn't kill anyone of our allies," Alec said, "I took care of it."

"Yeah, would you like to explain how?" Leo asked and Alec grew awfully silent.

We sat in silence for a couple of minutes as Alec choked on his words before he managed to clear his throat and painfully explain, "I sort of...um...grabbed him and just....set him on fire."

The silence became even louder until everyone exploded, processing what he had actually just said to us.

"You could've killed him!"