Reminder of Pain (73)

ETHAN POV
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No, it couldn't be him. Why was he here? But stood before me was a boy I thought had died—twice.

"Grayson?" I managed to finally speak, and his eyes lit up. He rushed towards me before he wrapped his long, skinny, arms around me. I wanted to hug him back, but I was too shocked, far too shocked. "How are you alive?" I whispered, separating us from the hug, "Why are you here?"

I could hardly breathe. I knew Vicker was back, I had seen him at the battle camp when Tisha and her army attacked. But Grayson? It was bringing back too much, way too much.

"I don't know!" He said, as if he had been saying that a lot. I backed away from him, still uncomfortable with the idea of him being so close.

"Wait, Grayson? As in, THE Grayson?" Lonni asked, stepping forwards. The room grew tense. They still didn't know what he had done to me, I hadn't told them. I couldn't tell them.

"How are you here?" I demanded an answer. This was a trap, it had to be. I tried to keep a brave face, but my hands were trembling.

"I really don't know! All I can remember is dying when I was young. Then suddenly I'm walking with a group of people—I think on our way to you—and now I'm here!" He explained, stumbling over his words.

I froze at his words. He doesn't remember? The vampires, Vicker, the cave, none of it?

"You said you didn't know your name," Leo spoke, his face wrinkled with anger.

"How did I know I could trust you?" He turned to face the ones who brought him here.

I felt dizzy, like this all was a fever dream. It was all so confusing. It was all coming back. I had tried to forget it, for my and Irene's sake. There was no use in remembering what happened. I hadn't thought I'd go through it again. Why was he here? Why was he here?!

"Ethan," Alec called my name, reaching out for me. I smacked his hand away.

"Don't! Don't," I repeated, trying to wrap my head around everything. I looked back up at Grayson, "You really don't remember what you did?"

His eyes widened, "What did I do?" His voice was like a whisper of pure horror.

I blinked away the cloud of panic and fear, "Nothing," I answered. They all were looking at me doubtfully. "It's nothing," I repeated.

My heart was clogging my throat and I could hardly breathe. This was all so confusing and cruel, so cruel.

"Lonni!" Alpha Nommi called. She rushed over to Lonni, giving her a giant hug before she pulled away, examining her to make sure she was ok. She then glanced at everyone else.

She offered them baths and nice warm blankets to snuggle into while they waited their turns. Alpha Nommi, Lonni and Leo all sat in the dining room, discussing the matters.

I couldn't take my eyes off of Grayson. He looked even more sickly than last time. His ribcage was visible. His body was bruised and beaten. My stomach curled at the thought of what they could've done to him.

Grayson's eyes met mine and my stomach tightened. First Irene is missing, then Alec kissed me, and now this? What the hell is going on?

Maybe it was good Irene wasn't here to know Grayson was alive. I doubt Irene would've been able to lie to him as easily as I was. If anything, she'd kill him on sight. But I missed Irene, a lot.

My eyes lingered on him while his eyes weren't looking at me. He was shirtless and I could see his neck and shoulder. My stomach twisted as I gagged, covering my mouth and looking away.