Pick A Color (56)

Ethan POV
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The troops didn't return until night had fallen and the moon was high in the sky.

They looked exhausted and they were covered in dirt and blood. I also noticed the numbers had dropped. Whatever the disturbance was, it was a big one.

I got up and I chased after the troops. Irene followed.

"Chowlynn!" I called out and she froze before she turned to look at me. Blood splattered her face and clothes. "What happened?" I asked as I looked at all the people walking down the trail.

"There was a disturbance at the-"

"No, I get that! I mean what was it?" I cut her off.

She glanced back at all the exhausted people walking down the trail before she looked back at us.

"Vampires," Chowlynn whispered as she leaned in, "A whole army of them."

I gasped a little louder than I should have. I turned back to look at Irene horrified. Irene looked pale.

"Why are they all the way out here?" I questioned with shaky hands.

"What's wrong?" Chowlynn asked as she noticed our reaction.

We didn't answer her.

"Maybe it's a different clan?" Irene suggested but I was still scared.

"Tell me what's going on!" Chowlynn demanded as she pulled out her knife and put it to my throat. She didn't have any intentions of harming me, just to get my attention. Once my eyes were back on her she lowered it, thankfully.

"Irene and I were kidnapped by vampires last year. There's rumor that they're teaming up with the blue pack and planning to attack the purple pack," I explained, "If they are here, I mean, if that clan of vampires is here, that can't be good," I informed her and Chowlynn nodded as she trailed off in thought.

Her eyes lit up as she turned in her heel. "I'll go warn my father!" She hollered as she raced down the trail to her house.

Irene and I looked at each other panicked.

The next day, the troops were occupied with vampires once again. We had been called in for questioning, the questioner being Chowlynn. We told them everything that had happened. Because of the story we had told Chowlynn, they refused for us to go. If we were the target, it would be bad to be on the battlefield.

Training became less and less as weeks went by. The vampires were restless, and Irene and I grew fearful.

Suddenly the battles stopped and that's what scared us the most. As months went by, there was still no news of the vampires. Chowlynn didn't give me a direct answer whenever I asked her about what her father planned—Chobin wasn't reliable anymore.

Maybe the troops did a number on the vampires, it was completely possible they backed off, either that or they were planning something big. Chowlynn didn't like when she didn't have control of a situation, I knew that which explained her silence—she was just as nervous as us.

My birthday was right around the corner once again and within those couple of weeks, Irene and I were in a debate.

We sat in the hot springs and soaked up the warmth after a long day. The battle had been so long for it to just suddenly stop.

We had a casual conversation, trying to distract ourselves from the thought that gloomed in the back of our minds. From this conversation, I found out Xiuying had been ordered to poison our food little by little.