A Cleansing Soup of Magic (72)

IRENE POV
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It had been six days of us staying together, now, as he had promised, he'd take me to see if I truly was cursed.

"Ready?" He asked slowly and I nodded just as slowly. He took a deep breath in, closing his eyes. His body glittered and shined a bright gold color. I had to look away from how blinding it was. The light dimmed and I opened my eyes again only to have the face of a beast in my face.

I let out a scream as I backed away. It wasn't a beast; it was a dragon. My heart was racing so fast from the fear. His scales were a dark red, almost like blood. Dragons typically didn't have wings or giant razor claws like the western version of dragons suggested. Rather, dragons were more like loong dragons with bodies that waved like flags in the wind and two small arms.

"If you could change so fast, why did you traumatize me earlier." I frowned my eyebrows as he let out a huff of air, almost like a laugh.

He gestured for me to come and get on his back. My face flushed but I didn't protest. It was a lot harder to climb a dragon than I thought. They were big creatures, and I was a small girl. I fell, then fell again. I hopped up and slid off on the other side. Then the one time I had successfully gotten on, he purposefully knocked me off.

I sat on the floor, and he turned to look at me. I didn't need to see his human face to know he was amused. I flipped him off, "Never mind, I'm not going," I decided.

Apparently, I didn't have that choice. He wrapped around me and bit the back of my shirt, lifting me off the ground. I let out a shriek as we were quick to fly away from the cave.

I screamed, for a while. My body swaying what felt like 700 ft above the ground. Eventually, though, I calmed down. It wasn't that bad if I didn't think about how death was just a slip up away.

We traveled far, very far, though, it didn't feel like long considering how fast he was going. The trees grew thicker until the ground was nearly impossible to see.

He dived down again, and that caused me to let out a startled shriek. We were heading straight for the thick branches and trees, and I was livid. As we approached closer, the trees began to sway and separated, creating a small entrance. The sound of the trees moving was as if millions of logs were being broke into.

We landed, my feet finally touching the ground and he let go of me. He did the whole transformation thing again until he was the pretty faced boy.

I fell to my knees, which some might describe as "dramatically." I felt motion sick, severely motion sick.

"It wasn't that bad," he scoffed, and I glared up at him. Above him, the leaves grew, and the branches expanded until the sky was almost completely covered. The only source of light being the small patches where the leaves didn't manage to block it out.

"Where are we?" I asked as I stood. There was no snow, it was as if we had ventured to a completely different world.

"My mother's home," he mumbled as he began to walk. My eyes widened. I stood quickly and chased after him. I didn't ask questions considering he looked slightly uncomfortable.

We walked until my feet ached, the whole trip silent. The trees were spaced out nicely, creating plenty of room for walking. Rather than grass, the ground was covered in moss. There were a bunch of fireflies, lightening the bits where the shadows of the trees grew too dark.

Despite being so dimly lit, and yet so peaceful. I was still nervous, but when my thoughts weren't racing about what to expect from his mother, I found everything to be quite enjoyable.