A Punch Back to Reality (63)

Alec POV
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After a little less than a month, we began to set out camps and troops into our territory to watch for war.

We sent people out in groups, considering most of our allies were arriving, we took our time when sending out our own people.

Leo, Noah, me, and surprisingly Irene would be fighting. Apparently, Leo has decided witches can be rather useful when in battle. Irene was hesitant to agree out of resent, but I told her it was for the best and she finally agreed to it.

Lonni, Ryan, and Ethan would be staying behind. Part of me felt guilty for being the key reason Ethan would not be joining us, but I knew my decision was a good one.

We sent out groups of soldiers into our territory almost every other day. There would be a huge crowd of women and men saying goodbye to their loved ones before they would ultimately be killed in war.

A lot of them were dressed in camouflage. In most wars, we didn't take what we wore into consideration. Normal werewolf wars were done in our wolf forms, but this wasn't just werewolves we'd be fighting.

We all stood outside, men and women wishing their lovers a soft and saddened goodbye. Many people were crying, we all knew how serious this would be.

Half of these warriors would not return, and I felt a wave of anger wash over me, knowing it could've been avoided if Ethan had just used his head for once.

From the corner of my eyes, I noticed Ethan approaching and my jaw instinctively tensed. My eyes were quick to look away from him and back at the crowd.

"So will you wish me a goodbye when it's your turn to be drafted as well?" He asked jokingly. It was still a bit weird hearing his voice. It wasn't as whiny or squeaky as it used to be.

That's right, it had been two years since he returned. Two years was all it took for the war against the vampires to become a great threat.

"You think this is funny?" I asked, disgusted in the fact he could even try to make a joke—especially that one.

"I am just trying to lighten the mood—" he tried to speak but his voice made me angrier.

"Shut up, Ethan."

We remained quiet for a while. I was hoping he'd leave me alone, but he rarely did, "Alec, I'm sorry."

"Do you regret leaving?"

"No." His answer was so confident I wanted to holler at him. How could he apologize but not truly feel sorry? "I'm not sixteen anymore, Alec, so please don't treat me like I am," he asked as he stood up straight, remembering he was older now. "By the time I knew what had happened, they had me down in a cellar," he tried to justify his actions, but I had already heard the story.

The story where he behaves like a naive child. The story of how he spills his guts to a psychotic teenager. The story of how he learns their language, eats their food, and goes to sleep at night satisfied. The story of how he killed innocent people, how he was betrayed. The story where he regrets nothing.

The story that shouldn't exist.

"You shouldn't have left in the first place!" I finally snapped and before I could stop myself, I had his jaw in my hand. Why did I put my hands on him? What was I doing? "These men and women will DIE because of you, and you stand in front of me and say you don't regret it? That you'd do it again?!" I screamed at him, my hand squeezing tighter.

His eyebrows frowned and a flash of anger flooded in his eyes, "Let go of me, Alec," he demanded as he pushed my hand off of his jaw. He rubbed his jaw, processing what I had just done. He took a sharp breath in and before I could speak, he punched me.