Fires Reflection (78)

ALEC POV
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I sat outside in the storm, but the snow never touched me. I was sitting up against a tree, my head leaned back.

I was unlovable—unwanted. I had known that, but to hear it from him...

I had nearly cried. If that had happened, I would've had to gouge my eyes out. I didn't know how to feel, but I knew it hurt.

I had apologized, he let me kiss him, we talked it out, and I said I would wait, but for him to move on so quickly made a random anger I couldn't explain. I didn't even know who the anger was targeted towards. Him? Grayson? Myself?

My father flashed in my mind, and I closed my eyes, trying to remove the heavy feeling in my chest. I didn't want him to yell at me again.

I opened my eyes and stood. It was hard to see because of the night sky, but the figures of giant bodies laid across the floor. White snow stained in red from blood and large shadowed figures laid lifeless.

In the day, their gray fur and yellow eyes would be haunting, but they weren't as scary at night. Especially not when dead. I left their bodies, as a sort of a warning to the rest of the corrupted to not come here.

But that meant Irene had been right, Daniela and Tisha were approaching fast.

I walked forward, following the scent of chocolate back to the Alphas house. Ethan was sitting on the floor of the balcony; his head resting against the wooden railing. He looked so defeated. I wanted to ask him what was wrong, but he had made it very clear I was not wanted.

He stood and went back inside. Once he was inside, I walked forwards, slowly. I was in no real hurry to get back inside because I didn't intend on staying. I didn't want to see Ethan, not even to hear his voice.

I didn't need to go inside; Lonni came rushing out to me. She must've not fallen asleep yet. I stopped a bit away from the stairs as she ran to me.

"There you are!" She said as she made her way to me. She went to hug me, but I stopped her.

"You'll get dirty," I warned. It was hard to see, but I was covered in blood. She scrunched up her nose as the smell of iron reached her.

"Are you hurt?" She asked, trying to adjust her eyes to the dark. I shook my head, and she looked back up to me, "Where have you been?" She asked, suspicious now.

"Corrupted have moved in closer now. I just killed twelve of them," I explained, and she gasped.

"And you're not hurt?!" She repeated.

"I'm not," I promised. There wasn't a single scratch on me—not yet anyway.

She paused for a moment before she hesitantly asked, "Why did you leave? Ethan is upse—"

"Ethan is the reason," I cut her off, taking a sharp breath in, and she quieted down. I took a moment to calm myself, "I don't want to see him, at all," I stated, and she frowned.

"I thought you too were finally starting to..." she said more to herself than to me. I knew how she felt though, I had thought the same thing, "Are you going to be staying then?" She asked, and I shook my head.

"No," I answered, "I'll be back though, to tell you of what I find," I reassured her, but it didn't seem to reassure her much.

"We all just finally got back together, we can't risk anymore separating," her words were a plead for me to stay, but I couldn't.

"I'll stay close by," I promised, "I just need some time alone."

"Fine," she agreed reluctantly, "I want you to come back tomorrow night too," she ordered, and I nodded.