Trial of Generations (76)

IRENE POV
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ares didn't wake and I didn't leave him. I couldn't, not when Daniela and Isabel could return to finish him off.

I sat on the other side of the cave, examining his beautiful scales. I could grow used to seeing him in his natural form. Guilt tore apart my heart, though. I felt terrible with every second I stayed with Ares instead of Ethan. Daniela had informed me Ethan was safe, but I didn't know how long that'd stay true.

I practiced more of my magic as Ares remained unconscious, mainly the animals. It was weird, summoning blue colored animals from just simple paw prints on the ground.

They were brilliant creatures too. I wanted to study them, but it was hard considering I was the one who could control them. I just wanted to know what made them so untouchable. Why Daniela couldn't even defeat them, and she knew how to do everything.

I then stared at the wall of scales. Something didn't sit right with me. Isabel had said she didn't know I'd be here, that she had only come to see the walls. It made my stomach turn. I doubt Daniela would ever willingly do something with no meaning, especially not during a time of war.

There was no wasting time, especially not for a piece of uncommonly known history and tourism. No, there was something here they were after, and I couldn't help but to feel whatever it was, was behind the wall of scales. Despair hid behind those walls, in a dark cold dungeon of loneliness, that is, if he didn't kill himself yet.

My thoughts swarmed, maybe they wanted to kill him, or to have him join their side. My heart raced with an idea as I stood. It was a ridiculous idea, but I couldn't help myself.

I carefully approached the wall, pressing my hands to it. It reacted as it usually did, and I'm sure Despair could see it's reaction on the other side as well.

"Can you hear me?" I asked, the wall rippling with my voice. There was no response. "If I open the wall, will you kill me?" I asked. I spoke aloud, but it was more of me thinking to myself. I didn't expect an answer.

I didn't even know if I could open the wall. The more I thought about it, the more my hands began to sting. I nearly pulled my hands away until I realized they were sinking into the wall. I let out a gasp as the pain traveled up my arms, and I nearly buckled to the floor.

I continued to press my hands to the wall, the wall vibrating and rippling with excitement from my magic, the scales tightening and then separating before reforming in an attempt to keep the wall up.

It hurt, it hurt a lot. I couldn't do anything other than groan in pain as I used my magic. I almost pulled away, the pain making my head light. But before I could, I sunk through the wall and fell to the floor in front of me.

The wall opened, scales exploding from formation and floating, waiting to be told to reform once again. I panted, exhausted from the strain it had done on my body.

I looked up from the floor and my eyes widened. There was a sea of gold, a tower of scrolls, and mountains of books. On the walls there was writing in all kinds of languages, the most reoccurring being English and the dragon tongue.

My heart raced; I had forgotten all about Despair. I went to the books instead, blowing away the dust and reading the insides. Books so old they should've been dust. Ancient spells and information I had never even heard of filled the pages. Spells so advanced I would've thought it wasn't real if it had not been in my hands.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw the walls. It glowed a bright white and quickly caught my attention. I put the book down and stood from my knees, approaching it.