Chapter 10: "Keeping You Company"

If a stranger had walked into Economy Class in the current moment, they'd believe someone had been exiled from a single team. But, of course, everyone in the room knew what was up. DJ was a one-man team, against two teams of five and six. It was an overwhelming feat to overcome.

Team Chris knew this, Alejandro knew this. Just one conversation with the proper word choice would secure an alliance with the lonely mama's boy. But, he needed the perfect moment to strike and this was not it.

"I don't know what to say to him. I've always been the alliancee, not the alliancer." Owen whispered.

"It's like asking a girl out, except it's a guy," Noah replied.

Miranda couldn't help but snicker at where this was about to go.

"Oh...! Um, hey DJ!" Owen called, making DJ looked up at him.

"Hey! You wanna go for hot dogs with my buddy, Noah? He said your legs are nice." Owen whistled.

Miranda began giggling quietly, getting Alejandro's attention. It was the first time he had seen her so lighthearted. Her grin was contagious. However, DJ wasn't as amused and neither was Noah.

"Yeah, 'cause that's exactly what I told him to say."

Miranda took a few breaths wiping a tear from the corner of her eye. Alejandro smiled for a moment, then spoke up.

"One cannot blunder into an alliance, friends."

"Why couldn't you lose, so Lindsay could still be here?!" Tyler glared, making DJ look angry.

"Anger also doesn't help." Alejandro shook his head.

"Listen, I'm sorry! I tried, okay? You only have to put up with me for one more day!"

"Going somewhere, DJ?" Alejandro rose an eyebrow.

"I'm losing the next challenge!"

Miranda gasped, but before she could speak, Heather fell out of the air vent with a notepad.

Noah and Alejandro smirked. 'What have we here?"

Heather caught a whiff of Owen's socks, pulling back. "Ew!"

"Doing a little spying, are we?" Alejandro purred.

Heather stammered. "Uh...I just...uh, dropped my pen. See? No scheming, just scribbling. Owen, I am issuing you a tick for fashion crimes. Your socks reek."

"Oh, am I wearing socks? I can't even see my feet." Owen chuckled.

DJ went to take a confessional and Miranda decided to follow him. She only half-listened to what was said, but she did hear Heather talking to him. Miranda shook her head sadly.

When DJ did open the door, Miranda passed him but looked back at him walking away.

"...You don't have to listen to her."

He turned back to her. "I know."

"Don't feel pressured to join anyone's alliance. I know Alejandro wants one for our team...But, you shouldn't listen. I still believe in you."

He walked back over to her. "I don't get why you want me to keep going when all I've done is hurt animals."

"I want you to win because you're a good person, DJ. If anyone deserves to win, it's you. I know you'll do amazing things with the money."

"But so will you, right?" he asked.

"...No, I'd only want it to fund a music career. It's a selfish reason, just like everyone else here. My team has some selfish people on it, same with the Amazons. But I want to do anything in my power to prevent the money from falling into the wrong hands."