Chapter 25: "Mercy Always Wins"

A/N: Just a little warning. This chapter is heavy. It's long, it's triggering, it's just...a lot. It took me four days to edit this because it's honestly draining to write some of this stuff. So, please, if you are at all triggered by anything in this chapter, don't feel obligated to read this. Yes, it is vital to the plot of Miranda's character, but I don't want that getting in the way of your mental health. If you do read this, please do some self-care after. You deserve it. Reader discretion is advised.

For once, Miranda woke up feeling refreshed. Despite sleeping on the dusty, rugged floor, she felt clean, in body and mind. It felt like a once-in-a-lifetime phenomenon.

Being the last one to wake up, she was greeted by the sight of Cody carrying Sierra around, and Alejandro watching Chris mope about his destroyed plane. She stretched her arms a bit and walked over to the latter even going on.

Chris still looked devastated, like he hadn't gotten the chance to sleep and get over it. Miranda curiously bumped Alejandro's elbow.

"How long has he been at this?"

Alejandro huffed, not even glancing in her direction.

"I'd say...twelve hours, give or take?"

"The hot tub with my name spelled out in Italian tiles, gone. My monogrammed sneakers, gone. My custom calibrated stubble trimmer, gone...!"

Alejandro, who was thoroughly annoyed, put on a forced smile to attempt to end this petty display.

"So, shall we continue the game?"

Miranda nodded in agreement. "Yeah, Chris. I think it's for the best at this point."

"As usual, you two are thinking of nothing but yourselves." Chris spat bitterly, making them both roll their eyes.

Cody cut through the useless conversation, desperately pushing away some rubble.

"Could we get some help over here?"

Chris continued. "What about the bigger humanitarian crisis? How am I supposed to keep this face fresh without my hyperbolic chamber?"

Miranda groaned, getting instantly sick of Chris's whining.

"Yeah, Cody. I'm coming."

She jogged over and helped him lift a large piece of metal that had fallen onto Sierra's leg. Cody then proceeded to pick her up and pull her out, making her swoon.

"Oh, Cody! I've had dreams like this. Except most of them, you're wearing a mountain hat and a loincloth." She purred.

Cody looked a bit discomforted by that remark as he walked her out and towards the clear ground.

"Did you land on your head or something?"

"No, silly! I'm fine! I'm fantastic! Except for y'know, my left wrist, right earlobe, scalp, and both ankles. Which, um, are kind of throbbing with every step we take. Ow, ow!"

With Cody not being too physically strong, he soon fell to the ground before having the chance to put her down. Miranda walked over and helped them up as much as she could. She soon spotted a blue wheelchair wedged within some metal scraps. Once she was able to pry it free, she was able to focus her attention on what her foot was crunching on. She looked down to see one of the headdresses from Easter Island under her boot. She eventually went back over to the pair, helping Cody lift Sierra into the chair. Miranda then placed the headdress on her head.

"Does it look okay?" Sierra asked insecurely.

"Oh, please. You look fine." Miranda smiled warmly, making Sierra grin back.