Chapter 20: "Talk Smack"

Despite the dreary setting he had woken up to, Alejandro couldn't remember the last time he'd slept so peacefully. No cringing at the sound of snoring, no screaming from turbulence, no obnoxiously loud bodily functions. It was a breath of fresh air to him, honestly.

The sun had just barely begun rising when he got up to stretch. He quickly noticed he wasn't the first one up, seeing Miranda typing on her phone across the way. She glanced up at him while he was stretching, just to acknowledge that he was awake, not to necessarily greet him. That is until he began speaking to her.

"Ah, what a beautiful morning, don't you think so, dollface?"

She couldn't help but scoff at the odd cheeriness in his voice. "...It's a little early to tell, isn't it?"

"Ah, but that's where you're wrong. There's a sort of... tranquility in the air. So quiet and peaceful."

He plopped down next to her, using her shoulder as an armrest. Miranda seemed to realize what his weird attitude was all about, crossing her arms.

"Oh, yeah, Owen's gone. That's why you sound like you've been frolicking in daisies." Miranda rolled her eyes.

He chuckled. "Oh, come now, doll. This isn't new behavior for me. I always feel like this when I see your pretty face, after all."

The sincere compliment threw her off guard, causing her to look up at him curiously.

"...I can't tell if you meant that."

"Oh? What makes you say that?" he snickered.

"I don't know, it just didn't sound... flirtatious."

Her blunt response made him laugh. "Mi, que linda eres."

She shook her head unknowingly, huffing and looking down at her phone once more. Later on in the day, she took a confessional about Alejandro's shift in character.

"I've never seen him so...annoyingly happy. Ugh, it feels so weird. I mean, yeah, he got what he wanted, no problem. But I can only hope that I actually get my end of the deal. Courtney better be enjoying her last day onboard."

Sooner or later, everyone else in Economy Class began waking up. Sierra was in a blissful daze while Cody sat as far as he could from her. Heather sat next to Miranda, who had been whispering to her.

"Who are you voting for next?" Heather asked quietly.

"Courtney, why?"

"What about him? Come on, I can totally help you vote off that jerk."

She pointed to the Spaniard next to her, who was trying to console Cody about his "marriage".

Miranda huffed at the queen bee. "As annoying as he can be... Courtney bugs me more. You of all people should agree with me on that."

"Sure, Courtney's a bitch. But, if it wasn't for Alejandro flirting with her, you wouldn't feel that way in the first place."

Miranda glanced over at him nervously, unable to respond to Heather's statement at first.

"Don't act like I'm wrong," Heather smirked coyly.

"...It was a big part of it, but I've always thought Courtney was annoying. This just topped it all off for me."

"And who's fault is that?"

Miranda was beginning to lose patience. She wished that Heather wasn't discussing this with her while everyone was around. If they were in a separate room, she could actually give Heather her two cents at a normal volume level.