Chapter 6: "Back On The Bathroom Floor"

It felt good to have a break. That's what Miranda thought anyway. She could finally have some time to herself, to take a long shower.

There were only two showers in the tiny shower room beside Economy Class. Usually, they were packed all the time, so when Miranda woke up, she made sure it was early enough to beat the crowd. Her plan succeeded, and she walked into the room to find no one.

She stepped into one of the stalls, undressed, and turned on the water. She had to cover her mouth so her scream from the cold water was quieter. It soon warmed up, making her feel comfortable. So comfortable to where she could sing out loud.

Her soft, delicate voice echoed around the room, filling it with music. This was the loudest she had been since she got on the show. She felt the pleasure it usually brought her when she was at home. She had so much she wanted to get out, but couldn't until now.

When I turn on the news

When I drive by a church

When I flip through a country station

When I see cool kids in the parking lot

Living up to their reputation

When I'm three drinks in

And some guys hittin' on a blonde three stools down

When the talk gets cheap

I cannot think about the girls in my hometown

It was a country song, a guilty pleasure of hers. She was surrounded by it growing up and had grown a very particular liking for it. But she would never admit that to anybody if they asked. She knew it was considered "lame" among many and was scared of any backlash for liking it.

She didn't like all country music, just a select few artists, who blurred the line between country and pop. But how to bring that up in conversation was more hassle than what it was worth, so she'd disguise it with saying actually socially accepted genres like alternative or indie. Not that she didn't like those too, of course, but some of her favorites started as country singers.

At the end of the day, she was a people pleaser, first and foremost. Her selfish likes and dislikes could be put on the back burner until someone genuinely wanted to know about them, and not drag her through the mud.

Amid her singing, a Spaniard happened to walk in to shower. He stopped in his tracks when he heard that voice. He could hardly believe what he was hearing. Her voice, whoseever it was, was absolutely beautiful.

He stepped into the free stall, being as quiet as humanly possible, so he could hear as much as he could out of this siren.

Are they getting married?

Are they getting jaded?

When they think seventeen

Do they think of me and wonder if I made it?

Are they really happy?

Are they making daddy proud?

What makes 'em cry?

What gets 'em high?

I think about the girls in my hometown

Miranda had no idea someone else was in the room with her, so she acted like herself. She let the warmth of the water hold her close as she rinsed the conditioner out of her long dirty blonde hair. She was getting quite into her voice with the shower acoustics.

When I see a denim jacket

When I hear a kid say a dirty word

When my faith's running low