Chapter 24: "Letting It Hurt"

Watching Sierra try to walk off her fatal injuries was heartbreaking, even for the people who had once cast precious votes for her. They felt as though they were monsters for ever targeting this now defenseless individual. Sure, she had done some wildly questionable things in the past, but at the end of the day, she was a human being. A mentally unstable one, granted, but still a person with a brain, a heart, and emotions.

Despite the heartache, both Cody and Miranda stayed by Sierra's side, trying to be as supportive as they could be. They had helped clean her of all the soot and ash, so she looked a bit better in that respect. But both her ankles were completely sprained, making mobility nearly impossible. Not to mention one of her ears was still painfully ringing from the explosion, and whenever she'd fall, she'd try picking herself back up on her seemingly broken wrist, inflicting even more pain.

Still, she was trying to act like it was nothing. She constantly insisted to them both that she was perfectly fine and that she didn't need any help. Though her perseverance was admirable, it was obvious that she was just in denial about the severity of her physical state. But after countless attempts to keep herself standing, Cody butted in.

"Sierra, stop. You shouldn't be trying to stand, you're clearly injured. Just relax."

"No, no, no, it's fine! I'm totally fine! Don't worry about a thing, Cody-kins...! See?"

She tried once more to get back onto her feet, flinching as she pushed herself up with her bad wrist. She was able to stand for the briefest moment before her ankles buckled beneath her, sending her bottom first back into the dirt. Realizing that she was, in fact, in too much pain to stand, she let out a defeated cry.

"Oh, who am I kidding...!? My life and my blogs will never be the same after this! I won't be able to gather new information for the fans if I can't even stand up!"

Miranda, who had been quietly watching this all go down, finally approached Sierra and knelt at her level.

"You may not be okay now...but you're going to be. I know it seems like your life is going down the drain, but...you're gonna get through this. We'll be with you every step of the way."

She wore a sad smile that seemed to try to cover up any and all anguish she might've had. That smile reflected directly translated onto Sierra's face too as she took Miranda's extended hand for comfort.

"Thanks, Miranda. If my Cody bear somehow, against all odds, doesn't win the million he so rightfully deserves...I really hope you do."

Miranda hummed sweetly. "Thank you. I feel so bad that you won't get to compete with us. This was the last way I expected this all to go down."

"Me too. But, we definitely made the right choice when it came to the vote." Cody chuckled nervously.

Sierra nodded in eagerly in agreement with him, but Miranda wasn't so confident about it, grimacing a bit as the subject of the vote was brought up. Both Cody and Sierra noticed her silent doubt, immediately stepping in to try and ease her worries.

"Miranda, you did. We know you hated every second of it, but believe me when I say, that jerk face deserved it and then some." Sierra frowned.

"Did I...? Did I make the right choice...? I mean...Alejandro saved my life today."

"When? During the explosion?" Cody asked.

"Well, that, and...I got trapped in a hole while digging for a barrel, and I threw my pick like a dumbass so I couldn't get out. I cried out for help and he came to free me. In return, I promised that I wouldn't vote for him, but...y'know."

"Did he make you promise that? Did he have any kind of ultimatum?" Cody asked dryly.

"No, no, it was after...Sure, it took some convincing, but—"