3. Broken Trust

"Eliza?" I asked as I stepped aside to let her in.

"I know. I apologize for coming over unannounced, but this was urgent," she said quickly.

"What's wrong?" I asked immediately.

My mind instantly went through several circumstances that would've put Peter's mom in my living room. Of course, it couldn't be anything too tragic or else she wouldn't be here. As my mind swirled, she started talking.

"Peter came home last night totally distraught. I have never seen him in the state he was in last night. He finally fell asleep around 5:30 and I was able to get away. He wouldn't tell me what had happened, but I assumed you two had broken up?"

I sighed, feeling sorry for Peter. "We did."

"Did you find out about the girl?" she asked sympathetically.

I nodded.

"I encouraged him to tell you when I found out. I'm really not sure what was going through my son's head, but I am positive that it was not done maliciously. But I didn't come here to defend him. I came over to check on you."

I thought that it was really sweet of her. I had grown really close to her over the last 4 months, and I hated to lose that friendship. I was closer to her than I was my own mom.

"I appreciate that. I'm ok, I think. Or at least I will be. I'm still having a hard time grasping that it's real," I gave her a tight lipped smile.

"Would you let me treat you to brunch?"

"Sure."

I was glad she was as observant as her son. She knew I didn't like breakfast foods.

She went to wait in her car while I went upstairs to tell Carter where I was going.

"Bubby, I'm going with Liza to town," I walked in his room with my announcement.

"Did you ask Dad?"

"When do I ever?" I gave him a significant look.

"You might try it this time considering you got your ass busted last night," he gave me his non-intimidating glare.

"Oh well. If he asks tell him, thanks," I started to walk out and he told me to hold it.

"Yes?" I asked in a fake sweet voice.

I was getting irritated. I swear, slap someone one time and suddenly you're a forever criminal. If I wanted to, I could make a list of all the things he has done to me and hasn't gotten in trouble for. Even the ones that he did get in trouble for, I didn't get my revenge. Besides, I could've hit him a whole lot harder than I did. Now that I know that spankin's aren't as bad as I remember, I might shave his head in his sleep.

"Never mind. Have fun," he walked over and kissed the top of my head.

"Bye bubby. I love you."

"Love you, brat."

I grabbed my purse and socks. I wore my converse and grabbed my coffee. Eliza was on the phone with Peter when I got in and my heart lurched. She quickly hung up and we pretended as if it didn't happen. She told me about the triplets college offers on the few minute drive to town. We both carefully avoided the topic of Peter. We went to Subway and I was grateful they opened at 8. I ordered my typical Subway order and I noticed that Eliza's was almost the exact same as Peter's. The only different was she added spinach instead of lettuce. Peter... I still can't believe he would do something like that to me. I was a great girlfriend, I thought.

We sat down and we had fallen back into our normal conversations of baking and crafts. She was wanting to do the wooden jars I had done about a year ago. All I did was cut them out and paint them. I explained to her the process of cutting them out. As the conversation shifted to our latest kitchen adventures, the second surprise of the day came at me. Dylan and his mom walked in. The mom and I are not how me and Eliza are. She and I did not like each other. I think the most part of it was that I was dating her little baby boy. She also did not like what I had to say about certain things. I didn't like her because she didn't like me and she was incredibly fake. I might be good at faking my emotions, but I am not a fake person.

I don't think Emily realized her son was as manipulative as he was. He threatened to kill himself if I didn't respond to his text in the right amount of time. He was less than helpful when Isaiah passed. He kept making me feel guilty for mourning him. He told me my brother was selfish for what he did. That was the day I called it off. I couldn't handle his negativity. However, I don't regret dating him for a few reasons. I think part of what happened between us, made me who I am. I don't think I would've been as strong as I am, had we not dated. I do regret what it did to my mental health, but after a few sessions with a very good therapist, I'm back and better than ever. I still have a session with Dr. Lee ever few months, just so she can check on me. So far, so good!

Emily walked over to me while Dylan went to order.

"Hey, you're here early," she said with a big smile.

She doesn't actually care. She is trying to be nosy and figure out who Eliza is.

"So are you," I replied, smiling just to be polite.

"Dylan and I decided we needed a day out. He has been into some trouble lately and I just think it's because we haven't spent enough time together."

I nodded like I understood. She didn't understand that he kid was a brat and who would benefit greatly from somebody taking a belt to his ass, but I very well couldn't say that to her. Eliza, on the other hand, had no problem laying it out for her.

"You might try using that belt around your waist for something other than holding those pants up," she commented.

I assumed Liza figured out who she was and I was grateful for her in that moment.

Emily put her hand to her chest as it she had been physically hurt.

"I'm not meaning to step on any toes or anything. In my experience with raising four boys, they listen best when their butts are red," Eliza said sweetly and I bit back a smile.

"I'll have you know that I have spanked my kid."

"How long ago?" I asked.

Emily knew my opinion on the matter. It was one of the things we disagreed on. She had read my texts with Dylan and saw where we had been discussing it. She then proceeded to text me a book on why I shouldn't have an opinion on the matter.

Dylan had walked over with their food in a bag.

"How long ago since what?" he asked as he approached.

He and I were still friendly with each other. He attended my church and with our youth group only being 6 members, we saw a lot of each other. Anytime we did anything in pairs, we got teamed up.

"How long has it been since you last had your butt busted?" Emily asked him.

His face turned red and he looked at me with a questioning gaze. I nodded my head, letting him know he should answer.

"About two years ago," he replied shyly.

I remembered it. He had been caught stealing from his grandparents. His grandpa took a belt to him in front of me. It was hands down one of the most awkward situations I've been in.

"That was your grandpa. What about your parents?"

"Probably four years ago," his ears were red and I could tell he was really embarrassed.

Eliza and I gave Emily a 'see' look. Dylan would've been ten.

They left in a huff and Eliza and I laughed. Maybe that will help them out.

We finished eating and she drove me back to my house.

"Tay, I am really sorry about what happened with you and Peter. I hope that once he apologizes that you'll give him another chance. I know he's sorry and regrets it as well," Eliza told me sincerely.

"E, it's like I told Peter when we first started dating, I don't date anyone twice. He messed up and broke my trust. There's no way we could ever make it work again. Definitely not any time soon."     

A lot of this story has been based on my real-life reality and if any of you are going through similar situations, I am here to talk if you need to. I want to be a resource for you guys. Have a good rest of your Sunday.

I also added in a quote that I had heard or read recently, and I just remembered it was in @AmeliaLane27 book 'Tough as Nails', so I really hope she doesn't mind me borrowing it. I just thought some others needed to hear it.