29. In Love With My Brother (P)

Peter's POV

It had been a rough day. I told Mom and Dad that, after church, I needed to talk to them about something. They agreed instantly, and so when we got home, we had the discussion I wanted.

They were seated at the table in their normal places for when we have table discussions. I was dreading this part, but it was necessary.

"Ok, sweetheart, what did you want to talk to us about?" Mom asked sweetly.

I took a deep breath. I was about to break their hearts, "I want to move in with Leena."

I said it quickly and bluntly. I had been anxious about this conversation since I made this decision several weeks ago. I had been putting it off in fear of what would happen.

"No," Mom said with finality in her voice.

I could see on her face that she was hurt and was doing her best not to show it.

"Why not?!" I asked.

It made me mad that she hadn't even let me explain my reasons before she shut me down.

"You live here with us, and that is final," she stood up abruptly.

Dad tried to stop her from walking away, but she got out of his grasp. He looked at me apologetically and followed her. I sat there at the table with my head in my hands for probably fifteen minutes. I wished these things weren't so complicated.

"Hey, I'll be back in a bit. I'm at the lake if anyone asks," I said to Bryson.

He nodded at me, and I left. When I got to the lake, I saw Taylen's vehicle parked over to the side. I was going to drive away and go somewhere else, but something stopped me. I parked beside her and climbed out. She wasn't right in front of her truck, so I walked down the beach a little ways. I saw her lying down by the big tree. I had no idea why she went so far down. That wasn't usual.

"Tay?" I called to warn her of my presence.

I waited for a second and got no response.

"Taylen!" I said a bit louder and walked closer.

As I got closer, I realized that she was zoned out. Her face was scrunched up and I was pretty sure she was crying. I had approached her blanket, "Tay?"

That time she blinked.

"Taylen!" I waved my hand in front of her.

That time she jumped and came to.

"Hey Peter," she blinked quickly and wiped away the evidence of tears.

"You ok? I was calling for you, but you didn't hear me," I was concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she smiled at me.

It was almost convincing, and had I not seen that she was checked out and crying, I would've believed her.

I gave her a disbelieving look, but I didn't comment.

"May I?" I gestured to the empty spot beside her.

"Sure."

I sat down, and we were silent for a while.

"What are you thinking about?" she asked me, "I know that it's not nothing. You only come out here when you're feeling heavy like I do."

"You tell me and I tell you?"

"Alright. You first."

"I told my parents that I want to move in with Leena," I sighed.

"Did it not go well?"

"No, Mom just said no and walked away. I think I hurt her feelings."

Taylen looked at me with a frown.

"Enough about that, how about you? What's going on in that pret- err head of yours?"

"Dad and I got into a fight last night," she said with a sigh.

"How big of a fight?" I asked.

"A pretty big one. He grabbed me."

"Oh! Are you ok?"

"Carter stepped in and Dad left," she rolled her eyes.

"Did he come back?" I felt like I was having to pull every piece of information from her a bit at a time but it wasn't too bad.

"Yeah. He spanked me too," she looked at me for my reaction on that one.

My eyes widened in shock, "You mean to tell me that Jason spanked his princess?!?! What did you do?!?!"

She laughed a little, "I might have been super sassy with him."

"Taylen Sanders, being sassy?!? I just don't believe it," I teased sarcastically.

She laughed loudly at that comment and seemed much better than when I first got here.

"I miss this," she whispered

"Me too," I whispered back.

She sighed, "I wish things could have been different."

"Me too."

She stood up, "I got to go."

"I should get back too," I replied.

She surprised me when she brought me close and kissed my cheek.

I picked her blanket up and folded her blanket up while she rinsed her feet off and put her shoes back on. She walked back over to me and took the blanket. I watched from that spot as she left. I didn't stay long after she left. Even though she didn't do her normal thing of giving advice, she made me feel better about my situation and I went back to my house.

I stayed outside enjoying the weather. Bryson and I were practicing pitching. Even though basketball had JUST ended, we started baseball in a week. Dad and the softball coach are nice enough to give us a week off but that's it. We came to win both baseball and basketball titles.

"Bryson, go help your mom with dinner," Dad said as he walked over to us.

"Yes sir."

Dad took the glove from him and began tossing the ball back and forth with me.

"So let's talk about this. Why do you want to move back in with Leena?"

I didn't take my eyes off the ball, "I'm tired of this school."

"Why Peter?"

"It's hard to be there."

"Why?"

"Because of Taylen. She's everywhere. I can't stand to be reminded every day about a mistake I made while drunk!" I raised my voice.

"Peter, I know that this all seems like a big deal right now," he started but I cut him off.

"It is a big deal!" I shouted.

"Watch it! What I was trying to say is that this will all blow over and be forgotten. I know that it is a big deal right now, but it's not going to go away if you just move schools. The regret you feel will follow you there. I suggest that you talk to her and forgive yourself. If you still want to move after you have sorted through your feelings on this issue, we will talk about it later. Ok?"

"Yes sir."

I walked away. I knew that running away wouldn't solve anything, but at least I wouldn't have to see her falling in love with my brother.