13. Meet Me at Our Spot

"Taylen, I don't know what to do," he started crying even harder.

I brought him closer to me and began rocking us back and forth.

"I can't be a dad yet," he cried. "I just can't. I'm only 17."

"You're not about to leave Julie alone in this," I replied sternly.

I had no idea what was going through his head. My choice of abstinence really weeded out all of these worries. One thing that never weighed on my mind was whether or not I was pregnant. Unless I was the second virgin Mary, there was no way I was pregnant. I can't imagine what it must feel like with that anxiety all the time.

"Of course not," he sounded offended.

"Good," I continued to try to be calming. He eventually started to settle down. I could ask questions now.

"Good. You're going to be a great dad, Carter. Phenomenal even. Has Julie gone and gotten an ultrasound yet?"

He nodded, "She is about 5 months pregnant."

My eyes widened as I gave him a strange look.

"5 months?!?!"

"Yeah. According to the doctor, we likely conceived in September."

"Does Dad know?"

"No. Her parents don't either."

"How the hell have you two kept this hidden so long?!?!"

I was shocked. Julie was tiny. You would've thought I or somebody else would've noticed her growing.

"She's been wearing a lot of my clothes. Her pregnancy has been very tame. She hasn't had any severe morning sickness. Her nausea spells are usually played off by her previous condition. Since she is 18, she doesn't have to have a parent know anything."

I shook my head. They were not going to have enough time to prepare for this baby. It's a good thing Auntie Taylen would be there for help. I had already begun my mental checklist.

"Do you guys know the sex yet?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I'm going to have a baby girl," he smiled big as he imagined her.

I squealed. Even though I had always wanted to be a boy momma, I loved little girls. They were fun to dress up and play with. When it came to mood swings and attitude, I wanted no part of it. I didn't want girls because I had no interest in raising myself.

"I'm so excited for you," I kissed his cheek.

"Peach, will you be there when I tell Dad? I think I need to get that over with before we talk to her parents. They won't be okay with any of it and they might even kick her out," he started to tear up again.

I grabbed his shoulders, "Bubby, I am here for you every step of the way. If you want me there, I will be there.

"Thank you. One more thing, I proposed," he dropped the bomb so casually and I almost tackled him.

"You did what?!??!"

Carter nodded his head, "She is all that I want in my life. I can't imagine spending another day of my life without her. I really love her, Peach."

I awed. My opinions on this subject were clearly different, but it wasn't my place to say anything. If he was happy, I needed to support him. There wasn't much to do but to commit to this train wreck.

"Carter Whyatt, if you drop one more thing on me like that, I will whip you," I threatened seriously.

He dropped two serious things on me, months after the fact. What is it about me that makes me seem unapproachable? I thought I was a good listener who was good as controlling emotions about things like this. I fought off the hurt and betrayal I felt. This was his moment.

"Also, I'm really sorry about earlier. I was way out of line and I never should have snapped on you like that. Just because I think that sometimes you need the brat spanked out of you, does not mean that I have the right to take matters into my own hands. I was overly stressed and I took it out on you. I'm sorry," he apologized sincerely for earlier.

"It's forgiven," I said, still tempted to shave his head while he sleeps.

As upset as I am about him waiting months to tell me the best news of his life, I began to plan the baby shower. If he is right about her parents, I will have to plan a lot more. My mom won't want any part other than to be there. If she wasn't invited, she would throw a fit and fight for custody. That wasn't my life anymore.

I began with the baby shower. I looked through Pinterest for several hours getting tons of ideas.

"Ready to go tell Dad with me?" Carter popped his head in my room.

"Of course," I replied.

I walked with him down the stairs. Carter called Dad into the dining room. The two of us sat on one side of the table while he sat across from us. I held Carter's hand as he told our dad that he was a few months away from having his first child.

My dad did not react the way I was thinking he was going to. I was hoping he would be happy, but assuming he would be angry. He surprised me when he got up and walked out the door without a word.

Carter's eyes welled up and he leaned into me. I held him while he cried for the second time that day.

"I was hoping for more than that," he cried.

"I know, Bubby."

We moved into his room and I crawled into his bed with him. I cuddled him closely as he cried himself to sleep. I shed some tears of my own.

It was late when I went back to my room. I got myself ready for bed. I laid down and began to think over the days' events. It had been a long day and I really needed someone to vent to about it.

I began to think of my friends. Dani and I were really close when we were young, but ever since she dated my ex, we have drifted apart. She was not who I needed now. Jaelynn and I were close, but she was too obsessed with Grant to even pay attention to what I was saying. Savannah was a no for obvious reasons. Reese and Alex would just try to joke it off. Peter and Carter were my only options left and one was completely out. That left Peter.

I got on my phone. I went to Peter's contact. My finger hovered over the call button. I took a deep breath and pushed it. I was expecting it to go to voicemail considering the trouble he got in last night. He answered on the third ring.

"Hello?" he asked.

"Are you busy?"

"No."

"Can you meet me at our spot?"

"Be there in 15."