31. Cinderella's Dead

By the time Thursday rolled around, I had talked Carter into the double date thing. He was reluctant at first because he knew he would get his ass beat but decided that he was down when he and Dad had yet another fight. I had kept my attitude low for the time being. I limited the sass I used while Dad and I were mad at each other. I continued being my normal self while plotting behind his back. He decided that since I hadn't given anymore 'tude, he would take off some of my grounding. I was to be ungrounded by Wednesday night.

I went down the stairs at six on Thursday night. I had my makeup done, my hair was in loose curls, and I was wearing a knee-high skirt.

"Where are you going?" Dad asked snarkily.

"Jae and I were thinking about going to the movies," I replied.

I had rehearsed this a few times and I knew he would believe me, even though just the other day we were having the conversation of the boy I met in Lowes.

"Ok, have fun," he smiled.

I kissed his cheek and walked out to the truck. Carter was going to meet me at Ace's, and they were going to ride with me. Julie and her friend, Riley, were meeting us at the movies. Ace was reluctant about being set up, but I guess Liz was driving him crazy and he decided he needed a night away. His curfew was the earliest of all of ours at 10 o'clock. I was sure we would be done and back by then.

Joel and I had been texting every night this week. He was really sweet and very funny. He lived with his single mom and he had a younger brother that was quite the handful. His favorite color is orange and he has a slight obsession with photography.

I drove and listened to Ace and Carter gripe about how well I drive.

"That was a stop sign!" Carter shouted.

"It's ok," I said.

He shook his head but shut up. We got there and Joel was leaning on the front of his truck. He was wearing a navy t-shirt and jeans. I already knew he looked good in blue but he looked even better in navy blue.

"Hey," he called to me.

"Hi," I replied when I got over to him.

"Who are these people?" he gestured towards the party behind me.

"That is Carter, my brother, Ace, his best friend, Julie, Carter's finance, and Riley, Ace's date," I introduced them all, and Ace and Carter shook Joel's hand while Riley and Julie just smiled and waved.

"Nice to meet you all, I'm Joel Fisher."

We went into the theater and got our tickets. I came ready to pay for my ticket but Joel paid for me instead.

"You didn't have to do that, you know."

"I know, but my momma raised me that if you ask a girl out, you pay for her," he smiled and I awed internally. There is nothing I love more than a momma's boy.

We were the only ones in the theater considering it was a Thursday night at a seven o'clock showing. We all spent the entire time making fun of the characters and predicting what was going to happen next.

After the movie, we went to a Chinese buffet that Juile and Riley picked. I wasn't huge on Chinese but it would do. They had a Mongolian grill that was absolutely magnificent. I got some of the things from there and some chicken that was coated in what looked like very honey-looking barbeque sauce. It was very good and I was full. We all had a great time without worrying about our parents.

When Carter and I got home, Dad was mad. Apparently, Ace had gotten in trouble and was grounded. I guess he spilled the beans on what we had done and now we were all in trouble.

"Go to your rooms!" Dad said as soon as we walked in the door.

I turned and started up the stairs. As soon as we got upstairs, Carter pushed me into my room, "What's the plan?"

"What do you mean, what's the plan?"

"How are we getting ourselves out of this?" he hissed.

"We can't," I replied simply.

He rolled his eyes and mumbled something along the lines of 'most annoying person ever'.

I heard Dad knock on his door. I assumed he would be first considering Dad threatened me with a wear-out. I changed into sweatpants and a t-shirt and wiped off my makeup. It took several minutes of unrelenting smacks for Carter to start crying. From the sounds of it, Dad was using his belt. I wondered what he had planned for me. I tried not to worry, but I was ridden with anxiety. I've always been the good girl who follows the rules. Well, I say always. My personality doesn't contain a whole lot of rule-following behavior, but the smarter half of my brain usually worked in my favor. Now here I was, facing a wear-out for some boy I just met. Thankfully, he's cute.

I heard the sounds of the belt falling stop and a few minutes later, Bubby's cries stopped as well. Moments later, his bedroom door opened and shut and mine opened. I was sitting on my bed right in the middle. I didn't plan on this going very smoothly. My headspace just wasn't there.

"Why did you have to test me like that?" Dad asked tiredly, "I was bluffing but now I can't."

I just stared at him.

"Well, whatever the reason, I hope this cures it," he held up his belt.

I continued to just stare.

"Assume the position," he said sternly and I did so.

My feet were on the floor and I was propped up on my elbows. He put his hand on the small of my back and I braced myself. I had never even gotten a single lick from his belt and now I was getting worn out by it.

The first stingy stripe came down and I decided that it would hurt, but it wouldn't be too bad. Carter and Peter are just sensitive when someone is mad at them. The second and third stripes came down and they were stingy. Still, it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. On the sixth one, I lost part of my resolve. Dad had covered my entire bottom in red and I let out a few ouches and owes. It was starting to hurt and I retract what I said about Peter and Carter. This really does hurt. My eyes had begun to sting with tears, but I held them in, not wanting to show any kind of emotion.

"Ah," I said when the tenth one hit.

"You were warned about what would happen if you disobeyed. Maybe next time you will remember this."

Dad paused for a moment and then began swatting the undercurve and my thighs. I tried not to kick, but my legs involuntarily jumped. I had started to silently cry. I knew I was getting close and we were almost done. After five more, he put the belt down beside me and began to rub my back. I pulled myself together in just a second and stood up. It hurt to stand and I couldn't wait for him to leave my room so I could cry freely.

"I'm really sorry I had to do that, Peach," he said sounding devastated, "What made you behave like that?"

He was sitting on my bed and I was standing in the middle of my room. I was focused on fixing my breathing but also just waiting on him to leave.

"Why are you being so silent? What happened to my little girl?" he stood up and put his hand on my cheek.

I looked up at him distastefully, "Sorry Daddy, Cinderella's dead."