12. What Am I Supposed to Do?

"What the hell is going on?!?" Dad said as soon as he walked in the door.

Carter paused but still held me down.

"I asked a question young man," Dad said warningly.

"I-I was punishing her f-for leaving without telling us-s where she was going," Carter stuttered through his explanation. I would have laughed if I wasn't over his lap.

"Let her up," Dad commanded.

Carter reluctantly took his leg off mine and let go of my hands. I stood and wiped the tears from my cheeks. My bottom was burning and I was pissed at Carter, which was normal, however, this time I was madder than when he pushed me into that pond.

"Peach did send me a text," Daddy told Carter.

I tried not to look confused, but I know that it showed. I never sent him a text.

"She said she didn't," Carter defended.

Dad got his phone and pulled it up. A message from my contact came through at 5:49 A.M.

Peach: Hey, I'm with Peter. He got into some trouble earlier and he sleeping on top of me. Just wanted to let you know so you don't worry.

I smiled inwardly. That was all Peter.

Carter's mouth was agape, "W-What?"

"I knew where she was before that. I heard her up this morning and I realized that Peter was here too. I saw them leave," Daddy told Carter.

"Why didn't you tell me then?" Carter asked Dad.

"You didn't ask me. I assumed you either knew or didn't care."

"Of course, I cared."

Dad shrugged then got serious again, "Why did you think you could discipline your sister?"

"She was giving me attitude," Carter said in a whiny tone.

"If I remember correctly, you gave me attitude first," I said sassily.

Dad gave me a look and I ignored it. I was through.

"Carter Whyatt, you know that you do not have permission to punish your sister. If I believe that she requires discipline, I will take care of it. This is not the first time we have had the conversation, is it?"

"No sir," Carter replied quietly.

"Since you have not been listening to me, I'll give you a dose of my belt and we'll see if that cures your disobedience."

"Yes sir," Carter replied sadly.

I felt a little bad but not bad enough to intervene. He should've just let Dad handle things.

"Go wait for me in the corner of your bedroom."

"Yes sir."

"As for you, little miss," Dad started sternly, "You need to come over here and give me a hug."

I smiled and walked into his arms. I've always been close with him, but since he started dating around, I have seen a lot less of him.

"You making dinner or you want me to?" he asked me as he released me.

"I will."

"Ok, I gotta go talk to your brother. Love you," he kissed the top of my head.

"Love you too."

I went into the kitchen and cut the chicken breast up and got it cooking in butter. I put a big pot of water on to boil. I scrolled through my phone while I waited for the next task to be available. I heard the spanking begin. It sounded like Dad was going hard and fast. Carter was getting uncomfortable very fast. It wasn't long and he was crying. A few licks after that, he was pleading for Dad to stop. Dad gave him seven more and stopped. I wasn't in the room, but I knew what was happening. Dad was hugging Carter and telling him that it was ok.

Dad came down about 10 minutes later and I almost had the pasta cooked. I had the sauce made. The only thing I was waiting on was the noodles. The shrimp only took about 5 minutes and I had already finished it about ten minutes ago thinking that I would be ready for it.

"Sure does smell awfully good in here," Dad said as he made himself a rum and Coke.

"Thanks. It should be ready in about five to ten minutes," I smiled.

"Awesome."

Carter came into the room. His eyes were red and puffy. He was walking stiffly, signaling that he was still mighty uncomfortable. I can't say that I was the most comfortable either. He was smacking me hard. I have a feeling that won't be the last time I sass off to him. He just made it that much more fun. Besides, he can't control me.

Dinner was served. Dad had put pillows in Carter's and mine chairs. Dad gave up on making small talk when Carter and I kept giving short answers. After I finished eating, I excused myself to my room. I sat down on the swing and began to read. I was about two chapters in when Carter knocked on my doorframe.

"Can I talk to you?" Carter asked.

Normally in this circumstance, I would have made him wait a day or two. Something was telling me that I couldn't turn him away this time. Something felt different.

"Sure," I put my bookmark in my book.

I set the book down, giving him my full attention.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry. I shouldn't have lashed out on you like that and I deserved every lick I got, though it hurt like hell," he laughed a little at the end to lighten the mood.

"I've just been really stressed lately and I've been taking it out on you. I'm sorry. You haven't deserved it, especially with what you're going through as well. I've just made it hard for both of us."

"What's got you so stressed right now, bubby?" I asked, getting close enough to him to cuddle.

He is silent for a minute.

"You can't tell anyone," he whispered.

"I won't. I promise," I said seriously.

I'm a lot of things, but a secret teller is not one of them.

"Julie is pregnant," he whispered, sounding teary.

I gasped.

"Peach, what am I supposed to do? I am seventeen. I have no money. How am I supposed to raise a kid? I'm still a kid myself."