26. I Can't Stop Him

The next morning as we're all eating breakfast, the air is thick. I heard that Sav and Peter got into it last night after Peter tried to get into it with Mason. All I could do was roll my eyes. Mason seemed to be avoiding me and I didn't know if it was because of the kiss or something Peter said. I figured I would give him a few days and try and talk to him then.

I sat with Jae on the bus ride home. It was quieter, though we were all stoked that for the first time in a lot of years, Valley High won the state championship for basketball. I tried to sleep on the way home, but I couldn't. I hadn't been sleeping well again lately and it was taxing on my mood. I had planned to stay home all weekend and catch up on everything that I haven't been doing lately. I was going to clean, sleep, and watch movies. The new season of a show I watched came out two weeks ago and I haven't had time to even start the first episode.

Carter and Dad were arguing when I walked in. They hadn't even realized I had gotten home. They were standing so close that their chests were almost touching.

"Why can't you accept the fact that this is happening?!" Carter shouted at him.

"Why can't you understand that you are just a child who shouldn't have such a big responsibility!?" Dad yelled back.

"And what?! She should?!"

"Maybe if the two of you hadn't been such idiots!"

"ENOUGH!" I raised my voice loud enough that they could hear me.

Their heads snapped in my direction, shocked by my presence.

"You two need to go to your rooms and calm down!" I said firmly.

They continued to make angry noises and glare at each other.

"I said go to your rooms!"

"You can't make me go to my room!" Carter said.

Dad had already turned and was on his way to his. I knew he knew that he had gotten too heated.

"Carter Whyatt, I said now. If you aren't on your way up those stairs by the time I get to three, I'm going after you with a wooden spoon. Now get!"

He stared at me, testing me. I was not in the mood to be tested. I didn't care if he was older than me, if he didn't get his happy booty up those stairs, I was giving him a sore booty. I am over everything right now.

"One."

"Two."

"Two and a half."

"Three." I sat my stuff down and headed for the kitchen. When I returned with the spoon, Carter had not moved. I advanced on him and he quickly shielded his behind before I could swat him.

"Wait, I'm going," he yelped, slightly panicked.

"Hurry," I said shortly.

I popped him once as he passed me. He yelped out and walked a little faster. I put the spoon in the sink and went upstairs myself. It was 6 o'clock and I wanted Subway. I told Carter that we were going to the store and Subway and he groaned.

"Now. Quit acting like a child."

He mimicked my words and I about slapped him.

"You know what, I'm going by myself," I snapped and left his room.

I don't know why I'm in such a mood. I am being so grumpy and I know that, but he is being so childish. He can't act like that when the baby comes. Julie would lose her mind. I heard his door open and he came out dressed and ready to go. I rolled my eyes but didn't protest. I don't like shopping alone.

We went and got into my truck. He stayed silent in the passengers' seat as I accidentally missed a stop sign. I don't know how because it's the only one between here and town and it's always there.

"I'm sorry I was giving you such a hard time earlier. I'm just stressed with the baby coming and everything."

"I'm sorry I was so snappy with you. My social battery has just run out," I apologized to him as well.

He squeezed my hand and we were silent until we got there. I called our orders in at Subway before we went in the grocery store. We didn't need much. 10 to 15 items were all. Carter pushed the cart while I put what we needed in it. It took about twenty minutes to get everything and we were ready to go. He used his card to pay even though I told him I was. He told me to consider it his apology. He's a pretty good brother.

We went down to the Subway and picked up dinner to bring home with us. Thankfully, it was ready to go. Noah, the 'bar tender' at the Barn works there for his day job. I smiled at him and left. Carter carried in the bags since there weren't many and I got the food.

Dad was sitting on the couch with his arms crossed and a belt laying on his knee. Carter and I shared a confused look before looking back at him.

"What I want to know is why you two seem to think that you can leave this house without telling me where you are going?" Dad asked with a pointed look, not moving from his position.

It was intimidating to me. I had never gotten a lick with the belt before and here he was acting like he was about to put us over his knee and belt us.

"We have done that for a long time," Carter said bravely.

"And I have told you for a long time that you are not to leave this house without permission. I don't even ask that you ask, just tell me where you are going."

"You have Life360 on us. You can track us," Carter said with some sass.

I'm usually not intimated by these types of things and I'm pretty good at talking myself out of trouble. The way the belt is draped over his knee the way it is is scary.

Finally, I can speak, "Look, all we did is went and got groceries that you hate to get. I cook, I clean, and I get the groceries. I'm basically the mom of this house and I think you should check your attitude with me, right now."

"Excuse me, little girl?!?! Who is the parent around here?"

"I just explained it to you. Now let's eat."

"Come here to me, right now!"

"Why? So you can spank me for being right? I don't think so," I admit, I was being a little sassy, but I did not like the tone he took with me.

Who buys the groceries? Who cooks? Who cleans?

"Sass me again," he threatened.

I just walked to the table and began to get the food out. Carter walked behind me and helped me get the stuff ready to eat.

"Watch yourself, Peach. If he decides to whip you, I can't stop him."

I nodded slightly to let him know I heard him. I already made up my mind that if Dad said something to me again, I was going to sass him again. I'm tired and grumpy, it ain't my fault he picked today to act like he was parenting me.