4| Favor

I changed the chapter name

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Favor

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 4: Favor (Rowan's POV)

"Why haven't you been answering the phone?" Nate asked as soon as I picked up the receiver and brought it to my ear.

"I was on a conference call with clients, Nate. What is it?" I asked, closing the document I finished working on.

"I got a call from Mr. Michaels earlier today."

I paused, clicking my pen shut and placing it on top of the papers in front of me. "Grandpa's lawyer?" I questioned.

"Yeah. He was asking when we were available to meet him to receive and go through the will that grandpa left behind. He was told to wait six months and now that time has passed, he needs to reveal the will and we need to meet him together to understand it. Are you free tomorrow for lunch?"

"Let me check." I pulled up my schedule for this month on the computer, putting the phone on speaker with the button. "Yeah. I'm free for lunch tomorrow. Let's call him over, we can meet in one of our offices."

"All right. I'll have Lucas tell him," he said, referring to his assistant of the past eight months.

I didn't even have an assistant yet and that was a separate issue but Nate on the other hand? His assistants never stuck around. Because Leo wouldn't let them.

It's an unspoken part of an assistant's employment contract that they have to do a few personal tasks for their boss and for whoever Nate's assistant may be, that includes taking some care of Leo.

I've suggested getting a babysitter or nanny in the past but Nate strongly refuses, saying he doesn't want somebody else raising his son for him and that's understandable, but as much as Leo has my whole heart, however much of it exists anyway, even I have to admit that he's a handful. He especially had problems in the past with all of Nate's female assistants.

Nate's ex-girlfriend, Maya, got pregnant with Leo when they were still together and it was completely unplanned. They both were horrified. They would argue all the time but they were together all the time too. They had to be because Nate didn't completely trust Maya to take care of herself or the life inside of her. It took a long time for them to sit and talk everything out. Maya didn't want a child and Nate never forced her to keep the baby; he left the decision up to her.

But he couldn't keep himself from telling her that if she chose to keep the baby, he would be there no matter what. After one point, he wanted that baby and Maya seemed to have accepted it and she looked so willing to raise a kid with Nate. But within a month of Leo being born, she left Nate and Leo with him, saying she wanted nothing to do with either one of them.

Leo was still just a baby in our eyes and even he understood that he didn't have someone to call 'mom' but when a woman who merely worked for Nate tried doing all those things he saw his friends' mothers doing, it angered him more than anything. He didn't like being taken care of by any woman who acted like a mother and it complicated everything. He never got too friendly with any woman Nate introduced him to.