9| Idea

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Idea

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 9: Idea (Evie's POV)

A few days later, I walked into Nate's office after yet another failed lunch with another stupid woman off his candidate list. 

I want to know what he thought when he made that list. 'Let's see how many rude and dumb women I can fit in one list. Oh, and let me make sure my brother hates them all.' 

I released a breath as I walked in and plopped down on the couch, setting my purse beside me and kicking my white Spanish heels off. 

He looked at me while Leo sat in his lap, being a good little boy and not even disturbing Nate who was typing away on the computer. 

I moved to lay down and rested my hands on my stomach. Hearing Nate laugh, I glared at him. 

He pushed his chair back and set Leo on his feet, patting his shoulder and whispering something in his ear while looking at me. Leo nodded and then padded over to me, standing behind my head. I had to look at him almost upside down. He patted my head with a tiny hand twice. "Evie, what's wrong?" he asked in his adorable little voice. 

I looked back at Nate. "I want to keep him." 

"You can't. He's mine," he answered smugly and went back to work. "Another failed interview?" he questioned. 

"Yes," I groaned, taking Leo's hand and bringing him forward. "Take your shoes off for me, Leo," I said in a sing-song voice. He kicked them off and I helped him up and scooted over so he lay beside me, keeping an arm around him so he wouldn't fall. 

"What was wrong with this one?" Nate asked. 

Where do I even start? 

"Well, for starters, she was already engaged." 

"Oh?" 

"To two different guys." 

"What?" he laughed, all his attention on me now. 

"One was her secret boyfriend that her parents had no idea about and one was the guy her parents wanted her to marry. But she had no problem getting married to Rowan. Only as long as he offered her a private jet, a condo on Madison Avenue, and uh..." I closed my eyes. "There was one more thing. Oh, a cat. She wants a cat." 

"Rowan hates cats." 

"Yeah, why?" I turned to him in confusion. 

"He got scratched by one in our backyard once when he tried feeding it." 

"Ouch," my nose scrunched up. 

"Ouch," Leo mirrored, scrunching up his nose. 

I chuckled, honking it and then giving his cheeks a little squeeze. "When I tried asking if she would negotiate, she bluntly refused. When I asked to know a bit more about her so I would have something to tell Rowan, she started getting angry at me."