24| Possession

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Possession

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 24: Possession (Rowan's POV)

Evie shifted once more in the passenger seat while I drove us to The Vortex and I resisted the urge to groan yet again. 

"Stop moving, Evelyn," I said through gritted teeth. 

"Don't call me that," she replied, clicking her tongue. 

"Then don't move like that. What is the problem?" 

"I don't like this, Rowan," she whined, turning to face me. "I don't like lying to everybody, I don't like having all eyes on us, I hate it all. Can't we just... I don't know..." 

"Not go?" I prompted. 

"Yeah." 

"No," I answered quickly. "It's a matter of one day, Evie." 

"But it isn't, is it? It's a matter of an entire year." 

"Don't make this any harder than it has to be, Ms. Spencer." 

She forced out a dry laugh. "Calling me 'Ms. Spencer' again now, are you?" 

"I am since 'Mrs. Volkov' freaked you out so much, darling. Would you rather I call you something else?" 

"I don't imagine you know a lot of endearing and romantic nicknames but I'd love to be humored. Enlighten me." 

"You seem to enjoy Russian a bit more," I pointed out, glancing at her. It surprised me that I'd been calling her Lyubov for years and she still had no idea what the word meant. Despite that, she didn't seem to mind it.

"You don't speak in Russian a lot, at least in front of me. How come the only Russian I get to hear and the names you call me, which for all I know, could be insults." 

I eyed her in amusement. "Trust me. They're far from insults, Milaya." 

"What does that mean?" 

"Nothing you need to know," I replied smugly. 

She huffed in frustration, resting her hands in her lap and staring out the window. 

She's dying to ask again. 

"Why don't you ever tell me the meanings of all these nicknames you've given me?" 

"If you want to know so badly, why don't you just look them up?" She didn't reply and I stole another look at her. "I see. You like not knowing," I stated. It wasn't a question, it showed on her face. 

"No, I don't like not knowing. I'd just prefer it if you told me yourself." 

"All these years and you don't know what Lyubov means?" 

She hummed. "Maybe I'm waiting for the day you'll tell me yourself." 

"Then I guess you'll never know."