8| Fail

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Fail

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 8: Fail (Rowan's POV)

Everything was a mess. Everything. It had only been three days since Nate came up with his not-so-genius plan and so far, it was failing miserably. 

Actually, that's an understatement. 

This was a waste of everybody's time, especially Evie's and mine. She was coming into work and leaving immediately only to go from one restaurant to another, one café to another, meeting all these different women only to come back at the end of the day angry, frustrated, and purely annoyed. This plan was wasting all her days and without the manager here, the other employees were falling behind. 

It made me realize for a split second how much work Evie actually does at this company, that she's the one holding all the departments together. 

That doesn't mean no one else could do it. Everyone's replaceable. Even her. 

But starting today, Evie and I were partially in the same boat. She was out conducting marriage interviews and here I was conducting assistant interviews. 

God, I still can't believe Nate convinced me to be in a fake marriage. Fake, contract, it's the same thing. I'll have a wife on paper but she won't be anything remotely close to a wife. It won't be a relationship, just a contract, just another deal. It's business. 

I opened the first file from the piles that Evie made. I picked up the pastel purple sticky note, reading the words. 

'Can't survive you' pile. 

I crumpled it up and threw it in the trash before opening the file, finding the employee's details, calling their desk, and asking them to come in. There was a knock on my door minutes later and in came a girl. 

She seemed much younger than the employees here. "Mr. Rowan," she greeted with a polite smile. 

"Ms. June, please have a seat." 

She sat down tentatively and kept her hands in her lap. 

"All right, I'm going to ask a few questions, answer them to your best capability. Before we start, would you like to ask me anything?" 

She paused and then leaned forward, resting her arms on the table. My jaw ticked. "Being your assistant will include some personal tasks as well, right? Running an errand, things of that sort?" 

"It could at times," I nodded. 

"All right," she grinned, leaning back, at ease now, watching me.

I lifted a brow, feeling confused. "What exactly are you asking, Ms. June?" 

She blinked and then shook her head innocently. 

I closed her file, pushing it away. "Ms. June." 

"I just wanted to let you know that I don't mind that."