36| Mind

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Mind

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 36: Mind (Rowan's POV)

I had no idea what was going through my head when I pulled that little stunt with Evie before we left. 

She was on my mind, she was all I found myself thinking of lately in every which way. She had full control of my mind and thoughts. But I needed to get this under control. If we did this, if we went off track and let these lines blur, there was only one ending. She'd end up with a broken heart and I'd be the fucking same coldhearted, numb, and manipulative man that fell into darkness too young, too soon. I had to get a hold of myself. Evie deserved better and I couldn't give it to her. 

We were husband and wife on paper, for show, this wasn't real. It couldn't be, it shouldn't be. 

It would be over one day and if I don't get it together now, I just might not be able to let her go. 

"Rowan!" 

I scanned the room for whoever had called my name and spotted Mrs. Rhea waving me over with urgency. 

"Go on, son," Mr. August sighed. This was the third time we were attempting to have a conversation and somehow we were interrupted every single time. 

Excusing myself, I made my way over to Mrs. Rhea. "Yes, Mrs. Rhea?" 

"I was looking for you. Evie is getting her Mehendi done right now, so her hands are full. We're more than halfway through the night and she hasn't eaten anything. I was hoping you'd make sure she has?" 

"Sure," I replied hesitantly. 

"Great. Thank you." She left right after that, finding her husband in the crowd, leaving me to find my wife. 

I sighed, scanning the room quickly. I was exhausted from being here already and it wasn't even midnight yet. 

Evie warned me that the functions for Indian weddings usually end awfully late and getting through the night without any help from alcohol was proving to be very difficult. Evie also strictly told me I could not get drunk tonight because she would be in no state to take care of me, instead, it was my turn to return the favor. The Mehendi on her hands, as I understand it, would take a while to dry, and until it does, she needs me. 

I spotted her sitting on one of the loveseats while a woman sat on a chair in front of her, drawing the intricate henna designs on her right palm. Her other hand was already covered. 

Priya sat beside her, both of them chatting animatedly until a man who I guessed was Rohan, came over and whispered something to Priya, taking her away. 

Walking across the room, I stopped where she was seated and settled down beside her. She glanced at me, a small smile on her lips. "Hello, stranger. I haven't seen you all night," she chuckled. 

"Not since we got here, no," I mumbled. "It seems like they're trying to tear us apart." 

She laughed, glancing at me. "Have you eaten?" we asked at the same time.