18| Paint

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Paint

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 18: Paint (Rowan's POV)

The elevator doors closed with a ding and Niko lay down on the floor as we started moving up to our floor. It was only eight in the morning but I'd been out for the past hour, taking Niko for his morning walk and going on my daily run. Catching my breath, I leaned down and unhooked his leash, wrapping it around my hand before leaning against the wall and running a hand through my hair, brushing it away from my eyes. 

The elevator reached our floor and I pushed myself off the wall just as the doors opened but before I could even step out, I froze at the sight in front of me. The giggles all came to a halt and everyone went silent. Even Niko didn't move. Blinking at him, I lifted my brows, seeking an answer. 

"Uncle Ro-Ro!" Leo laughed loudly before running into the elevator and hugging my legs tightly, then taking a step to the side where Niko now sat upright. "Niko!" he giggled harder, patting his head softly and then running back out, Niko following him in a slow stroll. 

I collected myself and walked out just as Evie jumped up from behind the wall and grabbed Leo, scooping him up, exclaiming, "Got you!" and laughing with him as she spun him around and then tickled him, making him burst into laughter. Both their laughs died down as she saw me and slowly set him back on his feet. 

He stood in front of her, facing me when she squeezed his shoulders. 

"Go and tell your uncle why you're here before he kills me, please." 

He just stared at her, confused. 

She looked down at him. "No?" 

He shook his head and then ran off, yelling, "Niko baby!" 

Evie let out a small chuckle and then straightened up, looking at me. "Hi." 

"Explain." I left the leash on the small table by the door and then headed to the kitchen while she followed me. 

"Uh, Nate stopped by, actually. He had a meeting with someone, apparently, I don't really know, he wouldn't say much. I actually think it might have been an assistant interview. But he said someone had to watch Leo and your apartment was—" She stopped talking when I abruptly spun around to face her and got too close. She took a step back so I had enough room to open the fridge and then I grabbed a water bottle. 

"Continue." 

"Yeah. So, your apartment was on the way, so he just dropped Leo off and said to watch him for the day and left. He was in a hurry, so I didn't really have a choice, and also, it's what woke me up so I was too out of it to react for a good ten minutes. But yeah. You're watching Leo today." 

I pulled the bottle from my lips and screwed the lid back on. "You are," I corrected. 

"No, you are. I'm spending the day with Priya. She's taking me wedding dress shopping and I also need to finalize the invitations with her. I'm going to see the church too."