7| Match

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Match

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 7: Match (Evie's POV)

"One, two, three!" I held tighter onto Leo's hand before he jumped while walking beside me, his ice cream cone totally melting in his little hand. 

We were just coming back from lunch and I was a little worried that Nate would find out I took him to McDonald's. Nate's a great Dad, no doubt in anybody's mind, and I think it's healthy that he only allows Leo junk food three days a week, but today wasn't one of those days yet somehow when I left with Leo, he was suddenly craving chicken nuggets and using his gorgeous puppy eyes on me. 

He only tries these kinds of things with me. I swear, he knows I'll cave. 

Before we reached the entrance, I stopped in our parking lot and took out the mini-pack of wet wipes from my purse that I never even carried around until Leo was born and Nate was everywhere, panicking and asking for tissues while holding a tiny baby in his arms. "Okay," I said in a sing-song voice, pulling him to a halt. I squatted down in front of him, glancing at the mess of a cone. "Are you done with that?" 

He nodded, thrusting it at me. 

I laughed, taking it and throwing it in the nearest trash can and then taking a wipe to clean his hands, face, and the one stain on his t-shirt. 

Leo was a surprisingly clean kid. Never dropped any food, never made a mess of anything, not even his toys. He was a bit like Rowan when it came to that and it might be because he spends a lot, and I mean a lot of his time with Rowan. What could I say? His uncle was a bit of a... neat freak. He tried not to show it but you could move one pen on his desk and it would bring you piles of work huge enough to slowly suffocate you. 

"All right, let's go." I stood back, taking his hand and leading him back inside, letting him walk in front of me through the revolving door, my hands on his shoulders. We made it to the elevator and he tugged at my dress. "Yes?" I grinned down at him. 

He shook his foot with the open shoelaces. "Pwease?" 

"Of course." Laughing, I knelt down and tied his laces quickly while he played with my claw clip. The elevator opened with a ding but before I could stand up, he tugged the claw clip off and my hair slipped right out, falling down my back. I playfully narrowed my eyes on him. "I'm going to get you!" 

He ran out of the elevator giggling while I ran behind him, my heels clicking loudly on the floor until we reached our hallway. Quickly and blindly, he rounded a corner, and just as blindly as the two-year-old, I did the same thing, crashing right into someone. I let out a breath of air, steadying myself. 

"Leo, stop running," Rowan said calmly, looking over his shoulder before facing me. His eyes traveled across my face before going back to my hair, lingering. I don't come to work with my hair down a lot. 

"He has my clip," I huffed, trying to move past him, only for him to block my way. I rolled my eyes, running a hand through my hair. "What?" 

He brought up his hand, snapping my claw clip at my face, coming dangerously close to my nose. I jumped back, glaring at him. He watched me in amusement before taking my hand and dropping the clip in my palm, brushing past me but not without intentionally bumping his shoulder into mine.