15| Guest

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Guest

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 15: Guest (Evie's POV)

Priya sat across from Rowan and me, looking between us incredulously. She didn't seem even half sold on the fact that we were getting married and I didn't blame her. Before she got here, Rowan strictly reminded me that as per the NDA I signed, I could only tell my parents about the whole contracted deal and he didn't want Priya to know. 

I never understood what issues they had with each other but Priya constantly picked a fight with him, just as he does with me. 

"I don't buy it," she shrugged, finally saying something and then leaning back in her seat. 

I glanced at Rowan, forcing out a laugh, "What do you mean?" 

"What the hell do you mean? How are you marrying him?" 

"Excuse me?" Rowan cut in, lifting a brow at her. 

"Please, be quiet," she rolled her eyes at him. 

Someone should humble him, who am I to intervene? 

He glared at her, taking in a breath through his nose. I could almost hear him telling himself in his head to calm down and hold it together. 

"I am," I shrugged. 

"Really? Did he propose to you?" 

"Sure," I nodded immediately. 

She rolled her eyes and laughed. "Tell me the story. How'd he do it? I'd love to know what you did to bring a despicable man like Rowan Volkov to his knees," she taunted, ticking him off even more. She was just blatantly trying to at this point and he was barely keeping from bursting of rage. 

Facing him, I nudged his leg under the table. 

Can he fucking say something? I'm not the only one who is a part of this contract. 

"Why is it so hard for you to believe that I fell in love with her?" Rowan asked, narrowing his eyes at her. 

"Have you met you? Have you seen the way you act around her? How you talk to her?" 

He took in a breath of annoyance and leaned forward, resting his arms on the table. "Let me explain this to you one more time because it doesn't seem like you're understanding." 

Dear God, help me. 

"Rowan," I muttered, grabbing his arm, my hand twitching as I did. It was instinctive to pull away and it took a great deal not to do just that. 

He leaned back, closing his eyes. 

"Priya, I told you. We work together, it would be weird at the office if anyone knew. I'm the one who asked him to keep it a secret anyway," I shrugged. Her brows shot up, so I added more fuel to the fire. "I didn't want people knowing because I knew what people would say about me if they found out I was dating our boss. You know that I take my job seriously, right?"